echeng

Lembeh Night Safari images

Happy Birthday, Mikey! (celebrated tonight at NAD resort in Lembeh)

Earlier in the day, Mike was egged and floured. I wish I had been there to see it.

echeng100309_0254508.jpg

Happy 25th Birthday, Mr. Mike!

echeng100309_0254525.jpg

Mike Veitch, Simon Buxton, Hergen Spalink at NAD Lembeh

echeng100309_0254548.jpg

Mike Veitch and Kerri Bingham play Wii at NAD Lembeh Resort, Indonesia.

Kerri beat me at Sword Fight but the girls can't touch the boys at tennis!

Good to see you Eric :drink: Thanks for coming

25314_350581864260_500519260_3711801_1373140_n.jpg

Hello Eric!

I am starting to use and configure the inon endoscope lens with nikon/Saga/Hugy but you just worried me with the recall news. Could you find out which serial numbers / batch are they recalling?

Hugy also allows some play on the camera so I have to make sure it is aligned before closing the back...

Check out these two little shrimp hitching a ride on this nudi.

echeng100305_0253211.jpg

Hello Eric!

I am starting to use and configure the inon endoscope lens with nikon/Saga/Hugy but you just worried me with the recall news. Could you find out which serial numbers / batch are they recalling?

Hugy also allows some play on the camera so I have to make sure it is aligned before closing the back...

I think you may need to check with your INON dealer! I'm not sure which ones were recalled, but I'll try to find out.

It is a fun lens, isn´t it? ;) great pics!

Could you please post an above water picture with the endoscope lens to check if my vignetting with nikon is the same?

I take it the well though-out stand was to stablize the lens in order to achieve a sharp image? I would think hand-holding that modified Clint-Eastwood Lens would be impossible.

I just posted many, many more photos from Lembeh on a Flickr set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/echeng/sets/72157623558672476/

I love the colman shrimp shots Eric. what processing have you done to these ( sharpening wise ) or are they straight from camera. I love the angle of view that is acheived with this odd looking rig.

Stew

I love the colman shrimp shots Eric. what processing have you done to these ( sharpening wise ) or are they straight from camera. I love the angle of view that is acheived with this odd looking rig.

Hey, Stew - for the most part, these are straight out of the camera with +25 clarity applied in Lightroom. For a few of the images, I might have tweaked exposure and contrast just a little bit.

The coleman shrimp photos had a very slight exposure gradient applied because the lights had some falloff as they illuminated the sloping side of the urchin. Since these were shot from about 1cm away from the shrimp, it was extremely hard to light evenly.

I take it the well though-out stand was to stablize the lens in order to achieve a sharp image? I would think hand-holding that modified Clint-Eastwood Lens would be impossible.

Typical shutter speeds in the darkness of Lembeh were 1/30-1/40 sec, so handholding is possible. The tripod was for video use...

The insect eye is a really tricky lens to set up properly. I have the original INON 50D setup here as well, and have been comparing both Nauticam and Saga adapters. In all cases, the lens was pointing just slightly too far to the right. Because there is some play on the Nauticam camera mount, I was able to twist the camera and lens slightly to the left, centering the setup. This resulted in much better corners.

Julian was shooting an INON port on a Zillion housing, and was utterly unable to get a sharp image. A batch of insect eye lenses were just recalled, however, and his is probably one that was assembled incorrectly.

I should probably do a full article on the insect eye, now that I have shot both stills and video with it attached to multiple housings.

Eric, do you by any chance know, how to find out, which Insdect Eyes are the rec alled ones (serial numbers or contact information) ... because i finally have my Insect eye (with original port on original INON housing) and am absolutely unable to get sharp images. My shots are just fully blurry ... and i can only get something that you can compare to focus, when i come closer that 1cm to the subject (which equals touching ...).

Serge

aduh Serge! after all that time waiting too..

Ke Oh Deh!

yes. frustrating. beer is all that helps ...

Serge - sorry you've been having problems with your new lens! I'm not sure which serial numbers are having the problem, but it should definitely be able to focus (at least, in the middle) a few cm way. When you get too far away (6-8cm) the entire image starts to fuzz out -- I think that's typical.

Contact your rep!!

Some crazy setup there :)

Cool pics indeed.

Eric, do you by any chance know, how to find out, which Insdect Eyes are the rec alled ones (serial numbers or contact information) ... because i finally have my Insect eye (with original port on original INON housing) and am absolutely unable to get sharp images. My shots are just fully blurry ... and i can only get something that you can compare to focus, when i come closer that 1cm to the subject (which equals touching ...).

Serge

I have done tryouts with a lot of different combinations (50mm, 60mmAFD, 60mmAFS with and without teleconverters, ext rings for both the lens and housing etc...) and the thing that you have to be most careful about is having the lens perfectly centered! My camera has some play inside the housing so, what I do, (this is my recommendation) is to mount first the lens on the housing, then the camera without the back. Take a picture on air at close focus and small aperture (f22 or higher) and see if the vignetting is symmetric (four corners of equal size) if it is not, play with the camera until it is or you will have blurry images no matter what. That is why I asked Eric about a picture with his setup on air to see how was his vignetting compared to mine.

I am starting to have good results with this lens on nikon and will try to post some pics tonight.

Hi David,

this is what i also realised on my setup ... the vigneting on land is not symetric ... i also disassembled my housing and put it back together. but unchanged. unfortunately i have no play on my housing to play with. i will try to figure out something ...

what I do, (this is my recommendation) is to mount first the lens on the housing, then the camera without the back.

how do you mean that? how can you put the lens without the housing?

serge

Hi David,

this is what i also realised on my setup ... the vigneting on land is not symetric ... i also disassembled my housing and put it back together. but unchanged. unfortunately i have no play on my housing to play with. i will try to figure out something ...

how do you mean that? how can you put the lens without the housing?

serge

Hello Serge,

I meant putting the lens on the housing and then playing with the camera and shooting until the vignetting is right. :)

Here is an uncropped pic:

post-4794-1269303934.jpg

Ahh ok ... i understand. I thought you mean the 60mm lens ... but you meant the fisheye :)

I now made some modifications on my housing try and will check the results tomorrow in the water ... hopefully it works.

Thanks for the tips ...

serge

That's exactly the issue I had, only I was unable to point the camera at the center of the insect eye lens because both the INON and Nauticam trays had the cameras mounted too high. I need to write a review still, but I haven't had time to do so. Sorry. :)

Hey everyone,

Just posted a trip video from Lembeh:

[vimeohd]10482441[/vimeohd]

I used Aperture 3 to create this video. The addition of video/ audio cataloging capability, plus the ability to build and output slideshow/ videos, are two of the new features announced with Aperture 3.

In the course of putting this together, I figured out what works and what doesn't.

I'm aiming to write up my experience using Aperture 3 to build this presentation over the next week or so and post to my blog.

Sponsors

Advertisements