Sign in to follow this  
Steen Nissen

Aquatica vs Huyfot

I was supposed to have ordered the Aquatica housing for my D90 by now, but then the Hugyfot was recomended to me, and I got all too confused.

The hugyfot seems to be a very nice housing too, but besides from the Hugycheck, how does it differ from the Aquatica ?

I guess I would like the Hugyfot to be better, because it's easier to purchase here in Denmark, than the Aquatica, but I do want the best option of the two, and not the easier one.

Hope to hear some insights.

Steen

I think the latches are very different, aren't they? Also, Aquatica has a nice port locking system that I'm not sure the Hugy uses but I haven't looked lately. Just something to consider.

Cheers

James

I had the same dilemma for the 5dii. I eventually went with the Hugyfot which I am very happy with. As far as I can see there are a number of advantages with the Hugyfot.

1) Hugycheck great system allowing you to suck a vacuum on housing testing the intergrity of the seals. In addition with a negative pressure the housing is sucked together making it all but impossible to remove ports etc before releasing the vacuum. Fantastic for peace of mind

2) Allen bolts closing. Although many complain I prefer the allen bolts to catches. I do tech dive so I tend to carry a lot of gear on some dive. I can clip this housing off knowing that it will be safe. Friends with latch closed housing in the same position have had them ripped off.

3) Port conversion. Hugyfot has conversion rings for all manufactures ports which allow you to fit pretty much anyone elses ports. I run Aquatica ports from my previous housing. This allows you a great choice in ports.

Also as you mentioned living in Denmark will have you close to the service centre if you need to go there.

I am sure the Aquatica housing is nice too I have had a few of theirs, both video and stills, and have always been happy. The above are just the reasons I went with the Hugyfot.

happy shopping e

in my opinion the biggest difference is the "feel" ... the hugyfot is a round housing that you hold in your hand, and the aquatica has levers, that you reach from the handle. take a hugy in your hand and see if it is comfortable ... Hugycheck, latches, Portsystem are less important in my opinion ... the main thing is how the housing lays in your hand. and there hugy has just a different approach

Serge is right. Also check that you can work vital controls like aperture and shutter with your finger and thumb without having to shift your grip and move your eye from the viewfinder. I seem to remember reading in a thread somewhere that this is difficult with Hugyfot....maybe wrong but well worth checking. I have an Aquatica (5D mk2) and can confirm that it is easy to make these adjustments and keep your eye on the subject.

I was supposed to have ordered the Aquatica housing for my D90 by now, but then the Hugyfot was recomended to me, and I got all too confused.

The hugyfot seems to be a very nice housing too, but besides from the Hugycheck, how does it differ from the Aquatica ?

I guess I would like the Hugyfot to be better, because it's easier to purchase here in Denmark, than the Aquatica, but I do want the best option of the two, and not the easier one.

Hope to hear some insights.

Steen

Hi Steen,

I went for an Aquatica for my D90. I did consider the Hugy, but simply preferred the AD90 and how it felt to me. Its very nice and easy to use and all important controls can easily be accessed without shifting your hand grip.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

Well......it took me a while, but now I finally ordered a Hugyfot housing for my D90. I really like the ergonomics of this housing, and everything just looks great. I can't wait to handle it under water.

The Hugycheck was what finally made me go this way. It's a great feature that should be on every housing.

Finally a very late thank you to those of you who replied with your opinion. It has been very helpful.

Steen

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements