eyecee

Manta Feeding Frenzy @ Hanifaru - which lunar phase?

Hi All,

I'm trying to plan a trip out to Hanifaru Bay, Maldives in August 2010 and current have a choice of different weeks during the month. From my research on Wetpixel and other sites, the Manta Feeding Frenzy (main purpose of the trip) is dependent on several factors, including lunar phase and it's influence on tides. While I understand there is still an element of luck, I'm trying to maximize my chances so which lunar phase is best?

It appears that the lunar phases at the Maldives during August are:

• Aug 07-13 - 3rd qtr moon for the week approaching new moon.
  • Aug 14-20 - new moon week and Spring Equinox
  • Aug 21-27 - 1st qtr moon
  • Aug 28-Sept 3 - Full Moon

Can anyone recommend which is the best time to go?

Also, can anyone comment on the following liveaboards and their associated companies and crew?

• MV Theia
  • MV Fathima
  • MV Island Safari 2 (Royal)

Many thanks in advance of any advice that you can provide from those with experience in the area.

Cheers! eyecee

Edited by eyecee

I'm planning some trip to Hanifaru on the Island Safari 2 in August. Trying to organise the dates now.

Hi All,

I'm trying to plan a trip out to Hanifaru Bay, Maldives in August 2010 and current have a choice of different weeks during the month. From my research on Wetpixel and other sites, the Manta Feeding Frenzy (main purpose of the trip) is dependent on several factors, including lunar phase and it's influence on tides. While I understand there is still an element of luck, I'm trying to maximize my chances so which lunar phase is best?

Also, can anyone comment on the following liveaboards and their associated companies and crew?

• MV Theia
  • MV Fathima

Many thanks in advance of any advice that you can provide from those with experience in the area.

Cheers! eyecee

I'm planning some trip to Hanifaru on the Island Safari 2 in August. Trying to organise the dates now.

Thanks for your reply; I managed to book Island Safari 2 Royal in late Aug to match Alex Mustard's timing so hopefully we'll catch the feeding frenzy! Hope to see you there!

Plus if there aren't any mantas there will certainly be an underwater photographers aggregation to photograph! :)

Alex

Plus if there aren't any mantas there will certainly be an underwater photographers aggregation to photograph! :)

Alex

hahaha... definitely. Underwater Photog Shooting Frenzy...

I'll be with my team from the Coast Guard Diving Unit almost once every 2 weeks from July till October. So might see a lot of wetpixel members underwater! Don't be scared if the military divers drop in!!!! hahahaha!

:-) i will be there from 12th August till 2th september with the Southern Cross...we could make a wetpixel diver party in some of the boats :-)

Hi All,

• MV Theia
  • MV Fathima

Cheers! eyecee

I have a good dive experience with Maldives Oceanic Dreams, Heard they have started managing MV. Fathima. I am fully confident with Oceanic Dreams. and I am sure that you can have an excellent dive experience with them. I know Mr.Manik and I have dived with him on different boats, and trust me when he is on board you will get best out of your diving.

Sponsors

Advertisements