Sign in to follow this  
Plyschmannen

Manaul with DS160 on Ikelite

Some time ago, I missaligned the hot shoe inside the housing, with the result that TTL did not work. However, dialing into Manaual, when selecting full juice, I got a black frame. I had to dial down a few notches before I got any light in the picture.

To me it indicates that the strobe fired once on the preflash, and once after, both with the indicated power on the dial. Which means two things; I can't use full power, and I only get to use 50% of the strobes, the rest are fired in vain.

Have I understood this incorrect? As far as I can see, there is no "Manual" override in the houseing or in the camera, and with everything set up correctly, the camera thinks it has a TTL strobe, but its not and its firing at fixed power.

If anyone can clear this up I'd be greatful!

/Björn

Not sure if I'm understanding your problem correctly.

If you push both strobe control buttons on the Ike housing together you should come out of TTL mode and be able to select power on the housing control.

Not sure if I'm understanding your problem correctly.

If you push both strobe control buttons on the Ike housing together you should come out of TTL mode and be able to select power on the housing control.

Um, and now I dont understand your answer. In the housing, you can only select if you are going to use 50 or 125/160 strobes. This is a 5dmkII housing, but I'm guessing they all look the same.

And the question is basically if there is a way to go normal Manaual, as in 1 strobe flash per exposure, not one preflash and one mainflash (with both flashes at the power you select on the manual settings dial on the strobe).

/Björn

Edited by Plyschmannen

Do you have this housing

http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/can_5dmkii.html

If so, you have 3 options:-

TTL through the Ike conversion circuitry with +/- compensation using the housing buttons. (DS160 knob(s) set to TTL)

Manual through the Ike circuitry and housing buttons. By changing the mode as mentioned in above post (DS160 knob set to TTL)

Manual using the controls on the strobes.

I don't believe there is any pre-flash in either of the manual modes, (unless perhaps you have red eye reduction set on the camera).

I use the 160 strobe. Don't think it will do a preflash. On my housing (a Subal) there are two sets of sockets for the hot flash. One set is for manual exposure, the other for TTL. If you use the wrong one and set the strobe for the other you might get what you are describing.

I was actually trying out my DS 125 on an ikelite D200 and to my surprise noticed the same thing.... on 1/1 power setting the flash is not captured, although it gives a good flash. at 1/2 power and other settings no problem at all.

I am still in the dark of why this is happening

Cheers,

Frits

Email Ike? In the past I've found their technical people willing to respond to emails when having problems or questions.

My strobe isn't working as it should at the moment, but I was not aware of the "press both buttons on the housing" to get out of TTL.

Regarding multiple hothoes contacts, in the ikelite one I have there is only one.

Got a quick answer from Ikelite, regarding preflashes:

"Setting the flash to full power while the housing is in TTL mode, the flash will fire at full power on the preflash and result in a dark picture. If the strobe is used in

manual full power the housing should be set to manual mode."

/Björn

.... "Setting the flash to full power while the housing is in TTL mode, the flash will fire at full power on the preflash and result in a dark picture. If the strobe is used in

manual full power the housing should be set to manual mode."

/Björn

That's interesting Björn, thank you. I have never done this but it does make sense. The strobe is reading the TTL preflash signal and as it is set in manual mode, is making a full flash. There is then no capacitor charge remaining to produce the exposure flash.

When using just one strobe I find it easier to set the manual strobe power on the housing, (leaving the strobe knob on TTL). With two strobes I set the flash exposure using the knobs on the strobes so that the power can be varied between the two. eg one at full, the other at half.

I was actually trying out my DS 125 on an ikelite D200 and to my surprise noticed the same thing.... on 1/1 power setting the flash is not captured, although it gives a good flash. at 1/2 power and other settings no problem at all.

I am still in the dark of why this is happening

I think this explains it Frits. Using half power, there is probably enough remaining in the capacitor to give a correct duration exposure flash as well as a half power pre-flash.

Edited by Balrog

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements