RedSeaDiver

Which long macro lens for Canon?

Just wondering which long macro Canon users are using for really timid critters like garden eels etc? Canon make a 180mm but I don't know whether any of the aftermarket lenses are also worth considering.

Just wondering which long macro Canon users are using for really timid critters like garden eels etc? Canon make a 180mm but I don't know whether any of the aftermarket lenses are also worth considering.

The Sigma 150 on my 5D was a sweet combo - haven't tried it on 7D yet, that should be interesting.

I've tried the Canon 180 on the 5D and was disappointed. Maybe it was my fault... needed more light, a steadier hand, a tripod, or something, but I had a hard time getting sharp shots so I traded it in for the Sigma.

what about a 2x TC with a 100mm lens?

Then you can also use it with a wide angle lens for cfwa

you don't say what camera you're using, but i'd certainly recommend crop-frame and the 100mm (probably over the sigma 150 and FF -- maybe over the 180 as well which is by reputation a good but not great lens with slow autofocus). i would not recommend a 2x with the 100, but a 1.4x is okay - the Kenko is pretty good with the 100 but doesn't work with the new 100IS - converters also slow autofocus.

all of this said, if you really need to reach out and can afford it, the 180 on a crop-frame is probably the best. i recently got some garden eel shots with the 100IS on 20D -- these were the most cooperative garden eels i've ever seen.

there are a couple other more extreme possibilities - the 70-200 f4 and the 300 f4 - perhaps with a +1 (maybe even the 200 f2.8 with +1, but focus range may be too limited to be much use).

If you are only talking about distance shots like garden eels, the 180mm is probably the better way to go. But still i would also rather recommend you the 100mm with a 1,5 Tele. This is what i use to shoot gobies and garden eels. The AF is slightly slower, than with the 180, but you have a shorter minimum working distance and a higher maximum magnification ... the 180mm does only 1:1 just like the 100mm. So you can also do classic Super Macro with the 100mm with tele ... you cannot do that with the 180 ...

when you shoot shy gobies and garden eels a lot and spend lots of time with them ... you will sometimes have occasions, where they let you in really close ... and then you will be better off with the 100 and tele ...

Serge

Edited by serge

Ok many thanks - there's some interesting information there. I've never used a teleconverter on a macro for shooting shy subjects - previously I just pulled out the 200mm Nikon. I've got a 1.4x Kenko so that may work for me.

Sponsors

Advertisements