Sign in to follow this  
BC-SeaDragon

PC Software

Hi All,

Curious if anyone has a software rec. for PC and any other equipment needed?

Also does Mac editing blow a PC out of the water?

I like Sony Vegas Pro, although I am still on version 8. There have been some issues with version 9, particularly with AVCHD, that you might want to check out before purchasing. What format are you shooting?

On a PC you could also check out Edius and Premiere Pro.

Editing on a Mac does not blow a PC out of the water at all. Better in some ways and worse in others. But Final Cut Pro has become a bit of a standard as a pro NLE.

Your choice may depend on what else you want to do on your computer apart from video editing.

I think the most complete package from editing to finished product is still Adobe CS4 Production, mainly due to the support for BD discs. FCS is better for color grading (Color) but there is no real compositor now that Shake is no longer supported. Motion is good for motion graphics/compositing but AEFX is more powerful for heavier efx. Apple broke Shake into little pieces and added them to FCP and Motion. Some, like myself, think that was stupid.

The FCP interface is easier than Premier Pro but I think part of that's me using it since Ver 1.0 and the new revised PP is new to me.

For an editing program, Green Valley's Canopus is also good but it is not an end to end solution, so if you have any compositing to do, you'll have to get AEFX anyhow.

The advantage of an editing suite is the ability to jump from motion graphics to compositing to color grading easily. Adobe can now import FCP and Avid projects in.

Now as for OS, Adobe CS4 is 64bit native in Windows but not OSX. AEFX in Windows is 20-40% faster than in OSX. Quite a few post houses I know switch to Vista64 or Win7 for AEFX work for that reason. Overall Adobe products perform faster in Windows, doing the same things. For dedicated work stations, there's no question it's the better platform for Adobe. For a personal computer, that changes things quite a bit.

FCS is not 64bit so there are a few limits but it is a powerful overall package (if not outputting to BD). Depends on what you are shooting with and for.

Thanks for the info!

I am shooting with a Sony Xr-500 and a Stingray L and M housing and at the moment just making personal dive vids. Previous to this all I ever used was IMovie on a Mac and that was ok, obviously there are some better programs out there but for me spending 1500 dollars on one just seems a little bit over the top. What should I expect to spend on a lower end program that will still produce a decent product?

Cheers

Kelly

In your position I would maybe check out Sony Vegas Studio and Adobe Premiere Elements. Sony Vegas Pro too if your budget will stretch to that. All cheaper than Premiere Pro or Final Cut. There should be free trial versions of all of these.

If you go Adobe, hold off for a few months as CS5 is just around the corner.

Steve

If you go Adobe, hold off for a few months as CS5 is just around the corner.

Well maybe , but it won't work for another year or so.. ;)

I've been using Sony Vegas Studio 9 and am pretty happy with it, (at least after a little tweak to settings which prevented crashes I was getting whenever I tried to render 1080p video- I think this is also needed for dealing with AVHCD, depending on your operating system). It's not too expensive, and generally works well.

I have been using CS4 with good results. I like the integration with AfterEffects and Photoshop and the suite is the easiest way to burn Blu-Ray discs- once you set up a project you can use it for Blu-Ray, DVD or flash without any reformatting.

Also, if you have any connections to education (student, faculty, preceptor, etc.) CS4 educational bundles are running only about $550 right now.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements