I have a birthday coming up and am thinking a new monitor for my home computer would be nice. I find no monitor recommendations via search here. Any suggestions for monitors?

I use a PC, not a Mac.

Just bought a Samsung P2350. wide screen lcd, 1920x1080, that I'm pretty happy with so far.

How important is dead-on color calibration to you? Are you also a gamer who needs the highest possible refresh rates for gaming? How are your eyes?

If those are not a big concern, any nice-size LCD monitor (I'm fond of 24") from a reputable source will serve nicely, for a reasonable price, too. Dell and Samsung are among my top picks. I look for a resolution of 1920x1200 as a starting point (HD as in HDTV is not the same ... "HD" monitors with 1080p vertical res don't have enough pixels for my taste... great for TV, less so for detailed work, and frankly, surfing, since web pages scroll vertically, you want the vertical pixels)

If your eyesight is not great and you're the type to considerably lower the resolution on the monitor, at the cost of the crispness gained with 1:1 pixel mapping, then you should look for the lowest resolution you can find on the biggest monitor you can afford/fit/want. Good news is it'll be cheaper. No sense wasting money on pixels you're not really using, though.

If commercial-quality color calibration is important to you, start looking at the higher end color-corrected brands like Eizo and Lacie... there may be others, too, but that's what leaps to mind as I type this.

Also, consider investing in a color calibration unit as well, such as those from Gretag/Macbeth, ColorVision's Spyder series, or the Monaco Systems units. There are many that aren't very expensive, and there are a number of threads here discussing the merits of each.

Edited by CompuDude

I am not a gamer. While I am interested in color calibration accuracy, one of my situations is eye calibration. Each of my eyes see color differently than the other. The right sees a brighter color than the left and slightly different shading. This has been true all my life. So when trying the color matching Eric posted recently, I am uncertain if the problem is the monitor or me. Perhaps I should have the wife try it.

I use Spyder for monitor calibration and prints from Smugmug Bay Photo have turned out quite well. I do love that metallic paper.

I would have to say my budget does not justify the commercial quality color calibration based on the pricing I have found for the 2 brands mentioned by Compudude.

I am not a gamer. While I am interested in color calibration accuracy, one of my situations is eye calibration. Each of my eyes see color differently than the other. The right sees a brighter color than the left and slightly different shading. This has been true all my life. So when trying the color matching Eric posted recently, I am uncertain if the problem is the monitor or me. Perhaps I should have the wife try it.

I use Spyder for monitor calibration and prints from Smugmug Bay Photo have turned out quite well. I do love that metallic paper.

I would have to say my budget does not justify the commercial quality color calibration based on the pricing I have found for the 2 brands mentioned by Compudude.

Inexpensive, lower end Spyder calibration units can be found for the $50 range. Not extreme at all. Higher end units can approach $1k+ however, but that's most likely overkill for home use.

I meant the $800+ Eizo and Lacie were not in my justifiable budget. I already have Spyder and use it.

I meant the $800+ Eizo and Lacie were not in my justifiable budget. I already have Spyder and use it.

OH! Right. Yeah, few mere mortals spring for those suckers unless they REALLY need it. But hey, if you have the cash to spare... ;) Never know exactly what someone wants without more info up front.

I am also looking at a new PC and monitor to replace my aging system.

For monitors I have come accross the Dell U2410 24 inch which has grabbed my interest.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/m...mp;sku=320-8277.

Seems to have some awesome features particularly wrt colour accuracy for photo editing as well as factory preset Adobe RGB and sRGB modes. Expensive( $699) but a whopping $251 off from Dell Canada to bring it down to $448 at the moment.

Reviews are very good for the most part. I havent been able to see one for myself in any local computer stores so far and dont think I will before the offer expires.

Has anybody got any opinion on it?

I am also looking at a new PC and monitor to replace my aging system.

For monitors I have come accross the Dell U2410 24 inch which has grabbed my interest.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/m...mp;sku=320-8277.

Seems to have some awesome features particularly wrt colour accuracy for photo editing as well as factory preset Adobe RGB and sRGB modes. Expensive( $699) but a whopping $251 off from Dell Canada to bring it down to $448 at the moment.

Reviews are very good for the most part. I havent been able to see one for myself in any local computer stores so far and dont think I will before the offer expires.

Has anybody got any opinion on it?

I had a look at the new dell at a colleauges place yesterday, and am ordering mine tomorrow. Dell here in Aus have 15% off monitors until may 2, which brings it down to around AUD$500 here.

As well as great colour pretty much outa the box (I plugged in my macbookpro and assessed my standard print) for mac laptop

users it also gives you an extra 4 USB ports ;)

I liked its design too, the stand allows quite a lot of vertical adjustment, so no need to place your monitor on phone books. it also spins to vertical orientation.

But colour is the main thing, and I was very happy with what I saw and can't wait to get mine ... it's replacing a long line of 21" Sony trinitrons, so I'll be smiling with the extrareal estateas well.

LaCie occasionally sells reconditioned and sales monitors at greatly reduced price.

I got one several years ago at 50% off and it was new from the box!

Ditto on the LaCie Monitors.

I recently bought one from the following site:

LaCie Monitors

Most of the time the reconditioned ones don't come with a hood or calibration software, however, I was fortunate to get one that had both.

I bought the LaCie 724 Monitor. They are a bargain when purchased in the Outlet Store compared to new. I was told that often, the only thing that differentiates them from new is that they were used once for display purposes at a trade show.

Ellen

I had a look at the new dell at a colleauges place yesterday, and am ordering mine tomorrow. Dell here in Aus have 15% off monitors until may 2, which brings it down to around AUD$500 here.

As well as great colour pretty much outa the box (I plugged in my macbookpro and assessed my standard print) for mac laptop

users it also gives you an extra 4 USB ports :)

I liked its design too, the stand allows quite a lot of vertical adjustment, so no need to place your monitor on phone books. it also spins to vertical orientation.

But colour is the main thing, and I was very happy with what I saw and can't wait to get mine ... it's replacing a long line of 21" Sony trinitrons, so I'll be smiling with the extrareal estateas well.

Thanks Darren - that was all I needed to hear!

Pulled the trigger today and the Dell is on its way.

Funny how I have more trust in one fellow Wetpixellian's opinion than a thousand reviews on line! ;):(:D

Darren, where are the 15% off prices being advertised? I didn't see much on the Dell website. Which model are you going for?

Ryan.

I've gone for the Dell U2410 24-inch Ultrasharp Monitor.

I'll find the coupon code and notify tonight.  

Cheers mate. Does that work on all their monitors?

Cheers mate. Does that work on all their monitors?

as far as I know ....

Sponsors

Advertisements