bmyates

Lenses with Image Stabilization

I just replaced my old faithful Canon 100mm macro lens with the new L IS version. I've never used an IS lens underwater, and was wondering if there's any reason NOT to use it with IS on (as I would topside).

I'm no expert on the topic, but my understanding is the stabilization can help give a stop or two of extra low light ability, so I see no reason not to use it!

I have the lens and use the IS. As far as I understand it, the only downside would increased battery consumption. So providing you are well prepared, no downside really

i have the IS and have used it UW with 20D. the IS does no harm UW and could do some good if you chose or had to take some available light shots

although the IS appears to work okay on a tripod i don't quite trust it and generally turn it off - and then try to remember to turn it back on

I found it very useful for balanced light macro images.

A few years ago, and despite being taped on, I did a few dives with my 105mmVR with the VR off. It made no difference with high shutterspeed images (i.e. flash only), but then I spent 20 minutes or so shooting fusiliers at a cleaning station. And was very disappointed with shots that normally great, were not. Sometimes you don't miss it, until it is gone.

Alex

I always leave it on, although it does use more battery power.

I tried the IS and it is a great topside lens. The IS works well except at 1:1 it only compensates for 1 stop instead of 4. Even then it worked well for stationary objects, especially in natural light shots. Shooting insects and other moving creatures though, you need to have the shutter speed and IS can't do much. It has limitations as to what it can do to stabilize your images. Is it worth the extra $500? I found 1 TC that worked with it (on a 5D2, it apparently doesn't work with all cameras) without the shuddering issue. But the Sigma quality was narly so I just gave up. Instead I bought a ring flash attachment for my 580EX instead.

Don't expect too much on the video front either. Using accelerometers for IS, it is not adjust to the "motion of the ocean!" :) so it can flick the image abruptly if it thinks you are moving.

...I found 1 TC that worked with it (on a 5D2, it apparently doesn't work with all cameras) without the shuddering issue...

Which one?

Sponsors

Advertisements