I am interested in hearing what other MKII owners are using. I will be housing mine shortly and will be replacing my YS90's at the same time.

All info appreciated.

Stew

I have 2x inon z240 strobes which I use manually. they have good bang for buck and are very small to pack. I can get two dives out of a set of eneloop AAs which is convenient. if you are doing video too the only thing to consider is if there are some more LED/strobe combos on the way like the ike. I have considered the Inon LED lights in a group of 4 mounted around each inon head... but I think that may be way too many on/off switches to manouver!

I have a set each of S&S YS-250's and Inon Z240's.

I'd highly recommend both. The 250's are powerful

and I really like the battery life. The 240's don't last

as long battery wise but work well and are light weight

comparatively.

It depends on what you shoot most. More powerful strobes give you options in WA but are bulkier. I have 2 hartenberger 250TTLs and 3 Z240. I use the Z240 for macro and hartenbergers for WA usually.

Cary what load batteries do you use? With 2700mah batteries I get over 400 full power shots from the Z240. The recycle time is not as fast as the 250 with NiMH batteries but now I've switched to NiZn batteries and it's fast!

Cary what load batteries do you use? With 2700mah batteries I get over 400 full power shots from the Z240. The recycle time is not as fast as the 250 with NiMH batteries but now I've switched to NiZn batteries and it's fast!

I have the Eneloop batteries. 2000mah. You don't have any heat issues with the 2700's?

I already use 2700's in my topside 580's.

I may have to switch what I use in the 240's.... :)

Thanks!

and for the OP, like Drew I utilize the smaller 240's for macro and the bigger 250's for wide angle

but for the last few months find myself solely using the 240's for both.

Edited by Cary Dean

The Z240 Type III were the only ones with heat issues with low loss NiMH.

I should add I use the Hartenberger for snoot shoots because there is an aiming light in the center and that allows me to aim the snoot. I would think using the bigger strobes for macro would help with recycle time. I can do 8 fps with the Hartenberger at lowest power.

if you are doing video too the only thing to consider is if there are some more LED/strobe combos on the way like the ike.

Hmmmm this was what I was thinking. Do I purchase now and then wait a week for someone to bring out the dogs gonads strobe/vid light combi. My wife does actually have a pair of brand new nocturnals which I could pinch off her to use when i want to switch to video. I cant ever see me taking a rig down with both strobes and lights. But like was suggested, if both items come as a single unit then it would be great.

Stew

It depends on what you shoot most. More powerful strobes give you options in WA but are bulkier.

I have a few trips booked at the moment, which will be both WA ( Bahamas ) and also WA / Macro Sipadan/Mabul. I visit Egypt a fair bit, or will do when my development is finally complete and will be mailny doing WA out there.

Stew

Hmmmm this was what I was thinking. Do I purchase now and then wait a week for someone to bring out the dogs gonads strobe/vid light combi.

Ikelite just did.

I personally do exactly what Darren said: "I have 2x inon z240 strobes which I use manually. they have good bang for buck and are very small to pack. I can get two dives out of a set of eneloop AAs which is convenient."

I use 2 Ikelite DS 125s. Quite bulky, but performance is great. Obviously a couple of DS 161 would be better. I would like a couple of small strobes for travel focused on macro.

Bent C

Except you will always have to deal with compromised situations with little video lights. At 500 lumens at the bulb, it'll come out to much less 3 ft away in daytime. I get the same from my 20W halogen in the Hartenbergers, and I won't/can't shoot any video with those in the day time unless I'm deeper, but that's my preference. I'm accustomed to 3k+ lumens lights for WA video with a nice wide beam to cover the FOV.

Having a set of tri clamps and using those Noc lights are also an option. Depends on what compromises you want to make.

Just got a pair of DS161s for my last trip. Fantastic. The LED lights are great for focus lights and video. Night dives I didn't need an extra light, the LED lasts all dive.

Interested in this thread

I have been using a pair of (old) Nikonos strobes (102 and 105) with aquatica housings, initially with 5D, now with 5dmk2. Have always run them on manual, but replaced them this week as they are just too bulky and heavy, but work fine

Now have a new pair or z240s

I presume that with the 5dmk2 aquatica I am limited to running them on manual, with no ttl ?

Not that I am unhappy with this, I generally shoot wide, and am well used to running strobes manually, but would appreciate any feedback as to whether ttl works with this combo at all. Like many, I have found the Inon instruction manual to worse than useless

You will need to either buy strobes with built in eTTL like the Easyflash or Seacam Seaflash 150, or get a converter like the Sea & Sea TTL convertor or the Heinrich Weikamp. That's the only way to get eTTL on the 5D2.

You will need to either buy strobes with built in eTTL like the Easyflash or Seacam Seaflash 150, or get a converter like the Sea & Sea TTL convertor or the Heinrich Weikamp. That's the only way to get eTTL on the 5D2.

Thanks

Thought so. Been using this system with the original 5D for a few years now, but didnt want to be missing out on an easy option

Cheers

Paul

I echo all the above. I have 2 x z240s with my 5d2. They are good, small, cheap-ish and reliable (so far). But a touch underwhelming for wide angle

It depends on what you shoot most. More powerful strobes give you options in WA but are bulkier. I have 2 hartenberger 250TTLs and 3 Z240. I use the Z240 for macro and hartenbergers for WA usually.

Drew, I read somewhere that the underwater guide number for the z240s was approx 10 whilst the Hartenbergers are around 20. Does that ring true with you?

I am considering some bigger strobe. How do you find the Hartenbergers generally? (Aside from expensive)

Erol

Erol

I can't say what the power of the Z240 is but I tried using 2 to match the output of the Hartenberger and it didn't make it to 1/2 power (1 stop down from full). So you could extrapolate from that but it'd be inaccurate.

I bought the hartenbergers for one reason, the fast recycling time. It's a very robust design but there are drawbacks:

You can read about them here:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31955

In addition, the hartenbergers have the controls on the right side of the mount. That means it's easy to adjust controls on the left strobe but one must reach out farther when adjusting the right strobe as it faces away from the photographer. Using 2x8" arms, it was annoying to have to make an extra effort to adjust the power of the strobe. Many of the competitors Subtronic, Sea& Sea etc, have the controls at the back for easy setup.

Erol

I can't say what the power of the Z240 is but I tried using 2 to match the output of the Hartenberger and it didn't make it to 1/2 power (1 stop down from full). So you could extrapolate from that but it'd be inaccurate.

I bought the hartenbergers for one reason, the fast recycling time. It's a very robust design but there are drawbacks:

You can read about them here:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31955

In addition, the hartenbergers have the controls on the right side of the mount. That means it's easy to adjust controls on the left strobe but one must reach out farther when adjusting the right strobe as it faces away from the photographer. Using 2x8" arms, it was annoying to have to make an extra effort to adjust the power of the strobe. Many of the competitors Subtronic, Sea& Sea etc, have the controls at the back for easy setup.

some like ikelite strobe.........hehehehe that's why i'm changes to sea n sea

I bought the hartenbergers for one reason, the fast recycling time. It's a very robust design but there are drawbacks

Drew,

Pro s and cons duly notes. Thanks. I ll mull over what I need and what I want to pay for and take it from there.

Erol

I am now armed with a pair of Sea and Sea 250 Pro's and will be firing them up in a months time. Thanks everyone for your valued input.

Stew

I am now armed with a pair of Sea and Sea 250 Pro's and will be firing them up in a months time.

:)

Sponsors

Advertisements