Sign in to follow this  
davephdv

30" Apple Cinema display

Found my computer on (maybe for several days). My 30" Apple screen was bright with anything on the screen very dull. Also there were many fine vertical lines, uniform. all the way across the screen.

I tried plugging and unplugging the computer and screen a number of times. Also tired restarting many times and turning off and then back on. Nothing brings the screen back to normal.

I plugged in an old 23" Apple screen. It works fine and normal.

The 30" display is sitting in my dinning room. When I'm done with my taxes I plan on trying to plug it in again.

The screen was calibrated with colormunki. All the settings work fine with the old 23" Apple cinema display that I replaced it with.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be done and what could be done about it? Or am I screwed. It is an older one and out of warranty.

Thanks for any info>

Dave B.

Found my computer on (maybe for several days). My 30" Apple screen was bright with anything on the screen very dull. Also there were many fine vertical lines, uniform. all the way across the screen.

Not quite sure what you are describing on the first part - do you mean the screen has gone dull all of a sudden? The vertical lines I get. There could be a few things going on, including perhaps the video card having issues or even the power supply for the monitors. I had a 30" go bad with the dancing pixels, took me three trips to get it replaced. So it very well could be a monitor issue, that being said.

There are a few things to try, but one of the first I would go for is resetting your PRAM to see if that helps - it can often help with random problems that seem to come out of nowhere (i.e., walking away from a perfectly fine computer then finding something amiss.)

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

After that it may be timee to run hardware tests and do other things, but give PRAM reset a whirl to start. You may want to take a quick look at This Thread On Apple Support about some things to try and discussion of the OSes.

Edited by TheRealDrew

The only issue I had with my Apple monitor turned out to be down to a problem with the power supply. Although it hadn't failed completely, it screwed with what the diplay was showing and when it would go to sleep etc.

It was also out of warrantee so I ordered a replacement power supply and tried it - worked a charm. Had to order it from a supplier I found on eBay, as I couldn't find one on the Apple site.

Not sure if the 23" and 30" screens use the same power brick - check the model numbers. If they match, try switching them.

Zero guarantee that this would be any help to you, but it's the only experience I've had solving these sorts of problems.

Good luck - James.

Yep, I also had issues with cinema screens power supplies, specifically a 30 inch one, so you may want to look into that. The problem I had was similar to yours (random lines in the screen). Luckily, my monitor was still under warranty and Apple replaced the power supply for free.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements