Snappy

8" Ikelite dome concern

I just aquired an Ikelite 8" dome (5510.45) with portbody (5510.11), to be used with a housing for a canon 5d MKII w/15mm etc.

However as I have assembled it I am getting cencerned with the fit between the portbody and the housing. It feels rather a lot more wobbly than my previous set up (also Ikelite, for 20d but with standard 6" dome) which fit much more snuggly. I've the new housing/port only tried it empty in a large bucket, it seemed to hold the water out, in such a simple test.

And I would assume getting down to depth the preassure would secure it pretty good.

But I am concerned. Will it seal properly at the surface or at shallow depth?? I fear a minor bump will send water flooding in...

Anyone else using this set up, can suggest any remidies or tell me if they have experienced the same thing?

Edited by Snappy

Hi Snappy

I also use an 8" dome. But on a 350D housing. It feels quite loose but when you get under water the vacuum makes it more steady.

I haven't had any problems with leaks.

You could try to tighten the screws on the clamps that hold the port in place.

Kind Regards og god weekend

Mads

Same here. It does seem loose and wobbly above but no problems under.

Test it empty in a pool first just to put your mind at ease.

thanks guys.

Guess I'll still be a bit nervous on first proper dive still :-)

It really doesn't get any better on the second one either. :P It doesn't matter which housing I use. Here is a trick I learned from Dr. Alex. As you descend off the back of the boat, get below your housing and hold it above you with the dome down. So as you decend the first few meters your looking into the dome and if you do see any water :) it's below the camera and you'll have a chance to kick right back up to the surface and hopefully save the gear. I haven't ever had a problem that this would help (knock on wood), but it makes me feel better.

Have fun,

Steve

Hi Snappy,

I have had my 8" port on my Ikelite body for a couple of years now and have to date had no problem. I did however feel as you do, that the port was a rather loose fit when I first got it. I was told the same as you that once in water it would be fine. I do what Steve has suggested as well, hold the housing down (with the port facing down) the first minute or two to see if there are any leaks as you would see water in the bottom of the dome.

I have had amazing fun with the whole rig and wish you many safe and happy photo dives.

Cheers

mark

I had the same concerns with my Ikelite setup and the 8" dome. I have been shooting with it now for about 6-8 months and I haven't had any problems yet....(knock on wood)

I wouldn't worry too much...but I wouldn't leave it lying around in a rinse tank with a boat on the move.......

I just aquired an Ikelite 8" dome (5510.45) with portbody (5510.11), to be used with a housing for a canon 5d MKII w/15mm etc.

However as I have assembled it I am getting cencerned with the fit between the portbody and the housing. It feels rather a lot more wobbly than my previous set up (also Ikelite, for 20d but with standard 6" dome) which fit much more snuggly. I've the new housing/port only tried it empty in a large bucket, it seemed to hold the water out, in such a simple test.

And I would assume getting down to depth the preassure would secure it pretty good.

But I am concerned. Will it seal properly at the surface or at shallow depth?? I fear a minor bump will send water flooding in...

Anyone else using this set up, can suggest any remidies or tell me if they have experienced the same thing?

I use the 8" dome with the 40D. I also have noticed that it's not snug. That said, I have logged about 60 dives with it and have had no issues at all. Good Luck!

Even just with the dome barely under the surface the pressure is great enough to hold a large 8 inch dome on the housing snugly. However, I never recommend using an 8 inch dome on an ikelite in surf situations where the housing is above the surface and vulnerable to being hit by any thing ie waves, surfer, yourself, dive buddys. If you must swim through the surf I recommend using the smaller dome.

Sponsors

Advertisements