ramaroodle

Kona, HI shore dive sites

Headed to Kona under the guise of a 7 day business trip. I'm looking for some easy entry shore dive spots that I can go to (and dive solo if need be) repeatedly during my stay. If I can find 2 or 3 sites that I can dive 2 or 3 times each (left then right on the reef, macro & WA) that would be perfect. Places that I could dive in the morning before a meeting or head back to for a night dive would be great.

From searching the web it looks like Puako and Place of Refuge would fit the bill. Any other ideas?

Andy

Aloha!

Are you familiar with shorediving.com? It has some useful information, including ratings, reviews, directions, photos and GPS. We've used it as a good resource, along with dive shop recommendations, when diving a new location. This time of year, the northern sites may be "hit or miss" to get in with a rig. From Kona, the northern sites like Puako are approx. a 45 minute drive (depending on traffic). About the same time frame to get to Place of Refuge from Kona area. Place of Refuge, AKA: Two Step, is about as easy as it gets for shore diving entry (even with a SLR rig). You can easily do multiple dives here. The key is to arrive early for a good parking spot. If the surge picks up and you find it challenging to get out with your rig via the two steps, you can swim around to the small boat ramp launch nearby to get out safely with your rig intact.

Have fun!

Jen

How about a shore dive out to Turtle Pinnacle? I think you can access it from Pinetree beach weather permitting.

Otherwise I vote for Puako or Place of Refuge too. But a bit of a drive...

Cheers

James

Thanks for the responses. Shorediving.com is where I got most of my info. I'm staying at the Fairmont so Puako is right next door. I have heard that you do need to get to these places early, both for parking and the wind. Don't know about Turtle Pinnacle. Will have to look that up. Thanks again.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I've only been to Kona once, but the two shore diving sites that really made the trip were Place of Refuge ("Two Step") as has been mentioned and the south cove of Honokohau Harbour. The harbour is a great site, lots of easy parking, a dive op right there (Jack's Diving Locker - who were great, by the way for the rental gear I needed) and lots to explore underwater. At Two-Step, take at least one dive and go out to the right from the entry and find the drop-off - it's covered with a shelved coral formation and at the harbour, it's claim to fame is/was a resident female tiger shark. I never did see her, but there were great photo ops afforded by the Heller's Barracuda and the large groups of butterflyfish hanging in the water column.

Hope that helps and have a great trip.

Lee

Sponsors

Advertisements