Plyschmannen

Need divecomputer logs

Hi, I've created a small java-app that scans through dive-logs, and then writes in the depth-ratings in the exif-files for the photos. Right now I can write in canon-raw files (cr2 and crw), and also in Lightroom sidecars xmp files.

I've used my own Vyper and Suunto dive manager that can export to ZXU files. It would be interesting to test this with other outputs of software and computers.

Files can be sent to me a bjorn (dot) bergenheim (at) (googles-webmail).com

I will have no problem to share both code and programs with other people if there are interested parties.

/Björn

I have to say that would be a awesome piece of software to have. I have e-mailed you a export file of oa few dives, let me know if you need more.

You should contact these guys: http://www.divesoftware.org/libdc/

You might find a lot of the hardest work has already been done. :o

Any chance of your app plugging the info into jpg exif tags?

If I understood what the diversoftware-guys are doing right, my work starts when their ends. I'm after the logs, not how to get them from the computers.

As far as exporting to jpgs, that can easily be done as well, I just didn't see the need for that, me shooting everything in Raw and using Lightroom for the workflow. I mean, I want the details in the flow early on, so I can use/see the details even before baking the jpgs. But since I use ExifTool (free crossplatform tool) to do the heavy lifting, and that tool can write in pretty much all the picture formats available (that has exifs in them), it wouldn't be hard to adjust for this too.

/Björn

If I understood what the diversoftware-guys are doing right, my work starts when their ends. I'm after the logs, not how to get them from the computers.

As far as exporting to jpgs, that can easily be done as well, I just didn't see the need for that, me shooting everything in Raw and using Lightroom for the workflow. I mean, I want the details in the flow early on, so I can use/see the details even before baking the jpgs. But since I use ExifTool (free crossplatform tool) to do the heavy lifting, and that tool can write in pretty much all the picture formats available (that has exifs in them), it wouldn't be hard to adjust for this too.

/Björn

JPG would be great for those of us who don't shoot raw. Poor country cousins that we are. LOL

So if I'm understanding, you want a copy of people's database, from whatever dive software they're using? Native format, or exported to some other format?

If you'll add JPG support, I'd be happy to offer up my SmartTrak database, holding data from a couple of different Uwatec computers (SmartTec and Galileo Sol). Shoot me a PM with your email address if you'd like it. (SmartTrak keeps it's data in a simple (but password-protected) MS Access database file.)

JPG would be great for those of us who don't shoot raw. Poor country cousins that we are. LOL

So if I'm understanding, you want a copy of people's database, from whatever dive software they're using? Native format, or exported to some other format?

If you'll add JPG support, I'd be happy to offer up my SmartTrak database, holding data from a couple of different Uwatec computers (SmartTec and Galileo Sol). Shoot me a PM with your email address if you'd like it. (SmartTrak keeps it's data in a simple (but password-protected) MS Access database file.)

I don't have any jpgs to test on this very minute, but I have the reading/writing and selecting of jpg/jpeg done already.

My email address is in my first post, slightly obfuscated.

And yes, it would be interesting to have different computers/softwares logs. I am right now using the ZXU-files that are part of DAN´s standard, that most software seems to be able to export to. I tried CSV, but I didn't get any good time-of-entry data from the Suunto software I'm using myself, which is why I went with the ZXU-file route.

/Björn

I don't have any jpgs to test on this very minute, but I have the reading/writing and selecting of jpg/jpeg done already.

My email address is in my first post, slightly obfuscated.

And yes, it would be interesting to have different computers/softwares logs. I am right now using the ZXU-files that are part of DAN´s standard, that most software seems to be able to export to. I tried CSV, but I didn't get any good time-of-entry data from the Suunto software I'm using myself, which is why I went with the ZXU-file route.

/Björn

Software is in beta stage rigth now. Anyone want to try it, mail or PM me.

/Björn

Now have the files up on google code. Downloads are available at http://code.google.com/p/depthtag/downloads/list .

So far the software can read from Suunto Dive Manager, SmarTRAK and Diving Log 4.0, when those software exports the logs to DAN DL7 format 1, which returns ZXU files.

Also, ExifTool is needed as well, can be found here http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool . This is available for both PC and MAC, and the my program is written in Java, so it should work on most computers.

Nothing gets written to anything until you press the "Update pictures" button. Right now, unless you start the jar-file with the command "no-copy" the original file will be saved with a _original_copy file-extension.

Enjoy

/Björn

Can you provide a bit more information on exactly what this program does?

Does it work off timestamps in the dive logs, and matches up to the timestamps on photos to determine the depth the photo was taken. Then inserts the depth info into the exif data?

Do you have any info on how to setup the program?

Can you provide a bit more information on exactly what this program does?

Does it work off timestamps in the dive logs, and matches up to the timestamps on photos to determine the depth the photo was taken. Then inserts the depth info into the exif data?

Do you have any info on how to setup the program?

Sure.

When you fire up the program, you have to specify (either type, browse, or drag and drop) where your ExifTool executable is located.

Then specify where your exported divelogs (in DL7 format 1, ei *.zxu) are located.

Then specify where your raw/xmp/jpg are located.

When clicking parse, the program will run through the divelogs, extrapolating the depths at 1 seconds interval.

You can then press the "" and the program will read the CreatedDate tag in the exif, ignoring any present timezone info (noticed that LR added that somewhat magically when saving your metadata to xmp-files) and match up the time the picture was captured with the time-depth data from the divelogs.

When pressing the "Update picture" it will do the same routine as above, but instead of just displaying the matches, it will update the exif-field in the raw/xmp/jpg file with GPSAltitudeRef = Below sea level , and GPSAltitude with the depth matching the timestamp from the image. This will all be in metric units, not 100% sure how it should be stored, but I'm guessing metric, and beside I want it metric for myself. This update process will rename the old raw/xmp/jpg file with FILENAME_original_copy unless you start the program with a "no-copy" parameter, to avoid potential destruction of data.

/Björn

I know some divelogs store data in Metric and convert on the fly to Imperial depending on preference settings, but I suspect some do not. Any change of an imperial option for those of us stuck in the dark ages?

I know some divelogs store data in Metric and convert on the fly to Imperial depending on preference settings, but I suspect some do not. Any change of an imperial option for those of us stuck in the dark ages?

Im guessing the DAN-format will always be in metric, so a quick conversion of the output shuoldn't be a problem. Does anyone know how normal GPS-tagging software does it? They all save altitude, I'm just not sure in what format.

/Björn

The program now saves in both the GPS-tag and in Lightroom readable XMP:Subject (shows up as keywords). It adds the keyword depth:xx.x feet/meter to the currently used keywords. There is an option to choose between metric and imperial.

/Björn

Sponsors

Advertisements