Sign in to follow this  
trygon

One or two Ikelite strobes?

I am in a position to purchase a strobe(s) for my Ikelite housing, but I would like some advice as to whether I should go with a pair of DS51s or a single DS160 as the pricing for the pair of DS51s is about the same as single DS160. About 90% of my shooting is macro to small subjects in freshwater using a Nikon 60mm, but I occasionally will use a Nikon 12-24mm.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bryce

I'd go for (in order good to less-good):

2x160

2x51

1x160

1x51

The dual setup gives you a lot more flexibility in the lighting; it's not unusual to find subjects that are impossible to light well with a single strobe.

I am in a position to purchase a strobe(s) for my Ikelite housing, but I would like some advice as to whether I should go with a pair of DS51s or a single DS160 as the pricing for the pair of DS51s is about the same as single DS160. About 90% of my shooting is macro to small subjects in freshwater using a Nikon 60mm, but I occasionally will use a Nikon 12-24mm.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bryce

Bryce,

i would go for two DS51s given their compact size and ease of placement .... Alternatively if you consider two Inon S-2000 .... All the Best ..... Francesco

First choice: Two DS160s

Second choice: Two DS125s

Third choice: Two DS51s

I have shot with both one and two Ikelite strobes and have always found two strobes to give me much more flexibility and options regarding lighting. Also, if you are going to do more than only macro shots, you are going to need more light! If you plan to do a lot of wide angle compositions, go with the double DS160 action or the double DS125 set up.

I'd go with one DS 160.

I agree two strobes is better, but the 160 is more versatile and I like the color temperature better. Besides you might be able to get another 160 with next years Tax refund.

I suggest the new 160 with the video mode. You might someday find yourself shooting video with your still camera and like this added feature.

I'd go with one DS 160.

I agree two strobes is better, but the 160 is more versatile and I like the color temperature better. Besides you might be able to get another 160 with next years Tax refund.

I suggest the new 160 with the video mode. You might someday find yourself shooting video with your still camera and like this added feature.

I second this choice - two DS51 means going to DS160 you will need 2 DS160. I would go 1 DS160 then save up for the second DS160, the path I took, only back then it was DS125 and added DS160 1 year later. And yes get DS161 for the possibility of video.

I'd suggest 2 DS51 only if WA is never going to feature in your photography. And you did say Nikon 12-24.

Edited by Diediealsomustdive

My budget only allowed me to start with the DS51. Saved my money and now am using the DS51 and a DS161.

I got tired of having the flash from a single side. Having dual strobes does give much more even light coverage. I have the two strobes on on a dual sync cord and they play together well. The 161 is a lot larger strobe, but having the battery pack separate seems like a much better design.

I do like the movie video light built in. Makes night diving and focusing in low light a lot easier! Now I am tempted to save up and get a 2nd DS161...

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements