Sign in to follow this  
tdpriest

Need sympathy...

I have just fused a D200 with 2" of water in my housing: although the battery and cf card are intact, my camera is dead and my 10.5mm lens has peculiar drops on the inside.

Is there a support group?

:goodpost:

Tim

;)

I have just fused a D200 with 2" of water in my housing: although the battery and cf card are intact, my camera is dead and my 10.5mm lens has peculiar drops on the inside.

:dunno:

Tim

:B):

:(;):goodpost:

Tim

;)

Tim I feel your pain I flooded a Nikonos V ages ago and I still get a shiver when I enter the water.

How did it happen?

I know this sounds a bit mercenary at your time of need but I have a very little used D200 doing nothing in my workshop.

Nige Wade

You have my deepest sympathys Tim. ;)

All I can offer by way of consolation is that you have received the bad luck injection and may that injection be an inoculation against this ever happening to you again.

Have a look in ebay- there are nikon d200 bodies flying around at mo' or check the buy and sell here.

Good luck and 'get well soon'.

Dam

Tim,

Gutted for you, had a near miss myself last week...

Out here they call it Sakara......

Oh man, that's seriously painful. At the risk of running salt in the wound, was it insured?

You can be solaced in the fact that there are those that have, and those that will. At least you got it over with. :goodpost:

Steve

Ouch!! Yeah been there done that myself too. Once with a Nikonos IV, a Nikonos V, and a 3 month old Nikon D70. I find Margaritas a good source of comfort. Lets just it doesn't happen again.

Stephen

Oh man, sorry to hear that.

As others have mentioned, been there, done that myself.

The 'ritas and :goodpost: may not help, but they definately are worth an attempt....

Its never good to hear news like that Tim. Mind you lets be positive hear, at least you can now convert to Canon and be done with it. !!!!

Stew

Its never good to hear news like that Tim. Mind you lets be positive hear, at least you can now convert to Canon and be done with it. !!!!

Stew

You beast; actually I was thinking a similar thing about upgrading...it's time. Nikon again, of course. ;)

Feel for you Tim :goodpost: The only housing I've managed to flood was someone else's

I'm sure you a man of your experience doesn't need advising that the positive side is working out what went wrong and not repeating it.

Oh no!! Really sorry to hear about Your loss Tim.

I haven't been able to flood any housings (yet?) myself, but I can imagine the pain.

Karel

Tim, I know you wanted one of those nice new housings from Alsky but flooding the old one is a little extreme.

Where was you and do you know the cause?

Daniel

May this never happpen again will be my prayer for you.......and thank god you have "lots of wide angle lenses" :goodpost: In India people have this belief: "this is the worse that had to happen and your bad luck is now over" Now i wonder if this means one can go out there and get a D700 and a new housing in the comfort of knowing that this will never happen again!!

My hearfelt sympathies mate

Diggy

Sorry to hear that, Tim. The worst.

Never flooded a housing, but having flooded a Nikonos (like everyone else) I can sympathise with the feeling.

Alex

It's bloody tough but welcome to the club....

I did it with a Sony A1 video cam, it's the worst feeling in the world!

Were you insured?

We've all been there at some time, some more than others. Th scars can take years to heal. Just bite the bullet. Spend the cash. Get back on the horse and take precautions against falling off again.

My philosophy has always been to never buy a boat you cannot afford to see sink. (Mine sank!) I carry that through with everything I own.

Edited by John Bantin

My philosophy has always been to never buy a boat you cannot afford to see sink. (Mine sank!) I carry that through with everything I own.

Hey Juan B when was the last time you bought dive kit? (paid spondoolies) :goodpost:

Having said that I know you paid top dollars for your camera kit. I could hear that scream from 2000 miles away when you flooded your Subal.

Tim if you want to borrow a D200 until you get sorted drop me a PM I'll pop it in the post There's nothing worse than having an empty housing shlapping round.

Nige Wade

Oh, Tim....that sucks.

I fully flooded a camera body and 100 mm lens.....(wait for it, it's good....) in the bathtub of my guest room last summer, soaking it AFTER a beach dive (during which I got repeatedly creamed by the surf, but did I flood it in the ocean? hell no. the tub.) somehow unclipped the housing back latch by catching it on my undergarment... I did not cry, but I did get a little drunk. I recommend a nice Belgian or Belgian-style ale or 4.

Here's hoping you get this all resolved/replaced soon....and then the pain will start to fade....

Sympathy is hereby extended to you!

Your support group is right here on Wetpixel and we are indeed a very supportive group as many of us have "been there, done that, worn the t-shirt".

I flooded my Subal housing when in Indonesia. My camera, 105mm lens and 1.4x teleconverter were all toast. I can understand some of what you are experiencing. Shock, denial and eventual acceptance were processes I had to go through.

As others have said, if you can learn why the flood happened and take steps to make sure it never happens again, you will have gained an important piece of knowledge that should serve you well in the future. In the meantime, I offer you my heartfelt sympathies.

Ellen

Be a good lesson to hear how all your floods have happened?

I did a minor flood of a D300, the flood alarm saved me in the pre-dive rinse bucket. But I still poured water out, due to a misplaced main o-ring.

Jack

Well as I told I have never flooded mysel any camers, but my girlfriend flooded her camera (THAT I BOUGHT HER) :goodpost:

She rushed to set it up just before entering the water and a small piece of rope (i think it was a small piece of wrist strap) was stuck between the O-Ring. Flooding happened instantly and the camera was destroyed. Luckly it was Olympus C5060 P&S, so not a very big loss.

So moral of the story - set up You gear carefully and take You'r time.

Cheers

Karel

My latest housing is a Hugy. I chose it over alternatives for one reason and one reason alone. Hugycheck. That little green LED means so much.

I flooded my 50D just before my holiday in Feb. Its an Ikelite housing, I've been happy with it and the 3 previous leakwise generally but have complained about the 2 port lock system before now as a weakness I have worried about since I watched a port drop off right before I jumped in the water.

As far as I can tell it happened because I rotated the dome as you have to when using the 10-17mm 8 inch port and the rotational pressure on the clip caused one port clip to pop either while it was in the boat or when I was putting it on - the port stayed on but the seal went at some point. This is mainly an issue with the 10-17mm as you cant easily check the port locks visually, unlike with other ports, but peace of mindwise, 4 port locks beats the heck out of 2 for any port.

Needless to say the 4 port clip change they made for new models is very welcome, if only they'd done it a while back given the feedback they've had on the issue.

So now I have to suffer with my new 7D instead. My partner is semi convinced I did it on purpose.

Otara

Edited by Otara

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements