Sign in to follow this  
markdhanlon

Eye-Fi Pro X2

I'm getting a new Canon Rebel T2i and am strongly considering a new Eye-Fi Pro X2. The idea of not having to open my housing to download photos seems like a great idea.

However, the speed, range and effect on battery life is a little disconcerting. The card is a 802.11n device, so the transfer speed should not be much different than USB 2.0 (I'm guessing about half in real world conditions). But I also wonder about the range (i.e. will it transfer through my Ikelite housing) and will this kill the battery so much that I'll need to swap out batteries almost every dive any way.

Any one using one of these cards and any thoughts? Thanks for the help.

Discussion on these cards is in the forum for Image Processing, Printing, and Storage. Hope this may be of help to you :goodpost:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33717

Bottom line is: IF the card works in your new camera, the transfer on any large files (JPEG or especially RAW) is still too slow and not practical if you shoot a lot of images per dive. Maybe OK at end of day when you have long surface time.

But file corruption risks (as warned by Eye-Fi on modern Hi-Res DSLR's with use of CF adapter cards) really worries me when I can not re-shoot the shot. I like the card when doing studio product shots where I can re-shoot, but not in wildlife shooting.

Bo

I'm getting a new Canon Rebel T2i and am strongly considering a new Eye-Fi Pro X2. The idea of not having to open my housing to download photos seems like a great idea.

However, the speed, range and effect on battery life is a little disconcerting. The card is a 802.11n device, so the transfer speed should not be much different than USB 2.0 (I'm guessing about half in real world conditions). But I also wonder about the range (i.e. will it transfer through my Ikelite housing) and will this kill the battery so much that I'll need to swap out batteries almost every dive any way.

Any one using one of these cards and any thoughts? Thanks for the help.

Edited by fotoscubo714

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements