Sign in to follow this  
Don in Colorado

Nauticam 7d lens choice

If you were just taking non-posed snapshots of your dive buddy, which lens choice do you feel is best. Diver would probaly be 4 - 12 feet away. (Yes I know, get closer, but these are just casual snapshops, no modeling. )

Tokina 10-17

Tokina 10-17 with 1.4 teleconvertor.

Canon 10-22

Sigma 17-70

other

Thanks for your help and comments.

Don

That would depend on the size of your dive buddy....assuming average Height and Girth, I would guess 10-22 or 17-70.

If you were just taking non-posed snapshots of your dive buddy, which lens choice do you feel is best. Diver would probaly be 4 - 12 feet away. (Yes I know, get closer, but these are just casual snapshops, no modeling. )

Tokina 10-17

Tokina 10-17 with 1.4 teleconvertor.

Canon 10-22

Sigma 17-70

other

Thanks for your help and comments.

Don

Depends on water visibility. Here in So Ca temperate waters I would use the Tok 10-17 (without 1.4 TC) and in cleaner tropical waters I may opt for the Sigma 17-70.

But I would advise you to get much closer whenever you can, something like 2-3 feet especially if you are going to use a strobe for lighting.

Bo

Edited by fotoscubo714

It depends on zoom gear availability too. :lol: Not all those options currently have zoom gears available (though I'm told they will be available soon).

Thanks for the comments. I am a little afraid of the Tokina 10-17, as being too wide of lens for my needs.

I see Gudge also uses a Tokina 12-24.

I have used a 12-24 Nikon lens with a Nikon D200 / Ikelite combo, and was pretty pleased with it for non-posed shots.

So my question to Gudge ( or others ), is the 12-24 Tokina satisfactory in a Nauticam 7D for non-posed diver shots ?

Thanks again,

Don

Edited by Don in Colorado

I see Gudge also uses a Tokina 12-24.
Rarely used underwater since I got the 10-17 and never with the 7D in the Nauticam

So my question to Gudge ( or others ), is the 12-24 Tokina satisfactory in a Nauticam 7D for non-posed diver shots ?
No zoom gear available yet (but is listed on Canon Port Chart), I'll give it a go and tell you how it goes when a zoom gear becomes available. However, don't hold your breath, my priority order for getting zoom gears is Tokina 10-17 on a 1.4X teleconverter, Sigma 17-70 and then Tokina 12-24 when they become available.

The 12-24 and 17-70 worked fine for the diver shots you're after with my 20D/40D/50D in Subal housings and I'm using the same Subal extensions and ports for those lenses with my Nauticam.

Edited by Gudge

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements