After downloading images that i shot recently I have noticed that I now have a number of dust spots on the sensor that werent there before. It probably was from me not being careful when switching between lens. Those spots are reminding me of days not to long ago where I had to do spot removal on scans that had just been done on a CS9000 or a Hidelburg.

In the past i have used a static cling brush and a bulb blower and gotten pretty good results, but Im looking for a better solution. Looking through Bh Photo I see there are a number of different options/products on the market and I was wondering what others where using and the results you were getting..

Thanks in Advance

Edited by Scubatooth

I use eclipse solution & swabs by Photographic Solutions, works well. Just looked at B&H and seems they are now selling pre-moistened swabs, instead of a solution bottle & dry swab. The couple kits that still include solution say they can only be bought at the store itself. I do remember hearing issues with shipping the solution with some new regulations. So they now do the swabs pre-moistened. Make sure to get the type (1, 2 or 3) to match your camera.

The individual pre-moistened swabs have a reputation of arriving dry. This makes sense if Eclipse Solution is simply high-purity methanol or similar. It's very volatile. A small leak in the packaging would allow the contents to evaporate very quickly. I have a few pre-moistened swabs in my kit but I haven't needed to open them yet. The Rocket Blower + built in ultrasonic dust remover has been good enough since I bought my 7D in November last year.

-Brad

The individual pre-moistened swabs have a reputation of arriving dry. This makes sense if Eclipse Solution is simply high-purity methanol or similar. It's very volatile. A small leak in the packaging would allow the contents to evaporate very quickly. I have a few pre-moistened swabs in my kit but I haven't needed to open them yet. The Rocket Blower + built in ultrasonic dust remover has been good enough since I bought my 7D in November last year.

-Brad

I use the stuff from Visible Dust. Their cleaning solution is IPA as far as I know and still can be shipped.

Bill

I use the stuff from Visible Dust. Their cleaning solution is IPA as far as I know and still can be shipped.

Bill

Eclipse fluid and pec pads with sensor wand, bulb blower and static dry brush.

I know it says you cant ship via air (says nothing on the bottle) Got my Mum to bring some out to Egypt, just told her to chuck it in her hold bag, got through no problems. (Didn't tell her though!!)

seems like visable dust is a popular product. they have a number of kits. what would be reccomended for cleaning the sensor on a 5DmkII, 7D and 50D

I do a first level cleaning by blowing the sensor with air to remove anything that may be loosely sitting there. For this I use scuba tank air - filtered and no moisture. I go on to a swab and cleaning fluid only if the air treatment doesn't get enough off.

Fred

Sponsors

Advertisements