ckchong

How to you carry you dome?

Guys,

I keep mine on until im in the water but i wear a shorty wetsuit so it either goes up the sleeve (like ur gran does with her tissues) or up the leg on my thigh. I know its not going anywhere, its out the way but as soon as im done shooting it goes back on. On my safety stop i clip off my camera (cetacea shortening bungee clip thing) and put the cover back on so i can concentrate on my safety, not my cameras. it gives you something to do in those 3 mins if ur out in the blue.

I dont use a bcd pocket as there is other items in there. if u constantly open and close pockets u are bound to lose something along the way, esp if ur mask doesnt allow u to see the zipper!

Keep it on to protect from unconcerned boat boys.

Never concerned about salt build up - you wash ur housing, you wash your ports, you wash the port cover...

And yeah always descend with port down for final check (although leak detectors are at the back on nauticams)

Olly

p.s i think its funny how we all have been playing with our kit/expensive toys that we are so ingrained with a technique that we adhere to every dive - and noone is gonna change that!

I always leave the neoprene on until I'm on my way down or on my way up.

I'm suggesting that after a day of this treatment, much less a week it's very probable that my cover has enough salt embedded in the cover that it would leave micro scratches on the acrylic dome. Done over a period of time, pretty soon I've got sand paper.

Except that the salt won't accumulate into "sandpaper" over time. Sure- you'll probably never get all the saltwater out of the neoprene with just rinsing, but you'll wash out the vast majority of the salt every time. Otherwise, putting on your your wetsuit would be horrific after several years... and when's the last time you saw any salt buildup on your wetsuit?

An anecdotal story - I've been keeping saltwater reef tanks for more than 15 years now - mostly with acrylic tanks, and there's always the concern about scratching the acrylic. (Recent picture below of my current tank). In 15 years, I've never had any instances of salt causing scratches on acrylic. Sand and rocks, yes. Salt, no. Which leads me to believe that the hardness of salt is less than the hardness of acrylic. I'm not saying that it's not possible, but with as much as I deal with salt and acrylic, you would have think I'd have seen evidence of salt scratches by now...

IMG_1508.jpg

Either way, I think the risk of scratching by a boat operator or other divers is far greater than the possible salt buildup.

I too am worried about twisting my port (and causing a housing leak) whilst getting the cover on or off but I've seen a few people have their domes scratched even on liveaboards with experienced divers & crew, mine is glass so unlike an acrylic port one large scratch will kill it because i don't think you can polish it out :notworthy: I leave the covers on for hand over. Float on the surface with my knees up, cradle the camera in my lap and take off the cover. Clip it to my bcd (and stick it under my arm strap out of the way) then descend dome down.

Sponsors

Advertisements