Sign in to follow this  
schow

marco lens selection

i have a nikon d300 and i am trying to get a marco len either 60mm or 105mm any suggestion?

i have a nikon d300 and i am trying to get a marco len either 60mm or 105mm any suggestion?

Between 60mm and 105mm micro (I have both) I prefer the 105mm.

Hello,

Cristian.

I have a 105mm Micro Nikkor and i love it!

This lens comes very handy with shy critters but with surge or current

she is quite difficoult to handle while a 60mm lens would be less prone

to unsharp or fuzzy photos due to camera movement.

The 105mm is petter to use in calm and clear waters while the 60mm

is more indicated in torbid or moving waters due the shorter minimal focus distance.

Chris

Hi Schow

This has come up a good few times so is well worth searching previous posts.

I've got both the 60mm and the 105mm. Bear in mind with the crop factor of the D300, these lenses are (approximately) 90mm and 155mm.

I have found the 60mm better for fish "portraits", ie trying to get the whole fish in the image - say something of the size of a damselfish or butterflyfish. The 105mm is better when the subject is especially small (eg pygmy seahorses, or shrimp) or when getting close enough with a 60mm is either difficult, too threatening to the subject or too difficult to light so close. The 105mm is also good where the subject is very skittish and shy. It allows you to keep your distance.

Most people find the 105mm harder to use. It has a shallower depth of field; your subject can be harder to find in the viewfinder; and, unless the subject is well light (using a focussing light if necessary) getting a focus lock can be tricky. I sometimes find that the rapid focussing movement of the 105mm VR can leave me feeling a bit seasick after a few minutes!

Both lenses are excellent. I'd suggest going with a 60mm if you are only going to buy one of the two - and then perhaps adding a 105mm at a later date. The 60mm is just a more versatile lens.

It is worth planning port purchasing though with both lenses in mind. A 105mm can sometimes be housed by using the 60mm flat port plus an extension ring.

Hi Schow

This has come up a good few times so is well worth searching previous posts.

I've got both the 60mm and the 105mm. Bear in mind with the crop factor of the D300, these lenses are (approximately) 90mm and 155mm.

I have found the 60mm better for fish "portraits", ie trying to get the whole fish in the image - say something of the size of a damselfish or butterflyfish. The 105mm is better when the subject is especially small (eg pygmy seahorses, or shrimp) or when getting close enough with a 60mm is either difficult, too threatening to the subject or too difficult to light so close. The 105mm is also good where the subject is very skittish and shy. It allows you to keep your distance.

Most people find the 105mm harder to use. It has a shallower depth of field; your subject can be harder to find in the viewfinder; and, unless the subject is well light (using a focussing light if necessary) getting a focus lock can be tricky. I sometimes find that the rapid focussing movement of the 105mm VR can leave me feeling a bit seasick after a few minutes!

Both lenses are excellent. I'd suggest going with a 60mm if you are only going to buy one of the two - and then perhaps adding a 105mm at a later date. The 60mm is just a more versatile lens.

It is worth planning port purchasing though with both lenses in mind. A 105mm can sometimes be housed by using the 60mm flat port plus an extension ring.

thank you it make things very clear for me

Nikon's new 85mm Micro-nikkor might be a best compromise. It's specifically designed for the DX sensor and in mm falls between 60 & 105.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements