peterbkk

Where to keep WB slate?

...I leave mine at home.

I like this idea. I just got back from my first trip using a MWB button on my housing and ended up clipping a slate to my BC using a telephone like cord ( easier to pull out than retractable clips). I could clip it close to my BC if i needed to but eventually ended up just holding it my left hand throughout the dive. (I could easily hold the handle and the slate as long as I didn't need to use the left handle controls.) Nevertheless, still found it cumbersome so definitely will try the tarp suggestion or the white fins as I'd much rather have full use of both hands. Also, it was difficult for me to determine how close to the port to hold the slate.

hi all... something to share with you all here..... i don't use slate to do my WB, instead i customised a white tarpauline sheet (aprox. 150mm x 300mm) with velcro and i will strap it on my leg. so i got both hand to control my cam and i just lift up my leg and points my cam to my WB "slate" :notworthy::):D

Just spent a weekend (6 dives) with the Mantaray fins.

Just one downside. They float. I found it quite awkward and distracting that, while shooting, my feet would be slowly floating upwards. This was particularly difficult when shooting in a small cave, in the close confines of a wreck and under a ledge.

Maybe I'll see if I can get a pair of the white Apollo Bio Fins. They'll sink.

Just did a couple of dives with my new Apollo Bio Fins in WHITE. I've used the black bio fins for the last couple of years so was happy with the way they dive. And they worked fine for MWB as well. Not quite as pure white as the the Mantaray fins but they did the needful.

Regards

Peter

Hello all,

Didnt see this mentioned so here we go... I use white dive glove(s) to white balance against. For tropics it was easy to find white(ish) dive gloves. For cold water white latex glove over dry/wet dive glove did the trick. Works well for me, and means less equipment to carry along. Tried finns painted white before this - worked fine as well, but after a half a year the white primer I used was pretty much dissolved.

I use white dive glove

With just one white dive glove, you could do the whole Michael Jackson thing... :)

The only downside with using a white glove is the same as using a self-held slate. It is a bit too close to the lens.

Regards

Peter

Three thoughts and a question-

I keep a white slate attached with a tether to the housing and held to the housing with a thick and large rubber band. It is easy to use and has never gotten in the way of a shot.

I have used white duct tape on my Aqualung Blades for a year- it doesn't change the hydrodynamics of the fin and seems very durable.

I have also used white-palmed gloves in locations that allow you to wear gloves.

My question- would using 18% gray scale be an advantage compared to a white slate?

Will

Sponsors

Advertisements