Sign in to follow this  
chphoto

Flash with spotter light

Hi all,

Sorry a really basic question. I have an underwater strobe that does not have spotter light built in or attached to it. I was wondering how important are those? Of course, it is better to have one with a light than without, but would you pay extra $100, $200 for having one?

Thanks!

Hi all,

Sorry a really basic question. I have an underwater strobe that does not have spotter light built in or attached to it. I was wondering how important are those? Of course, it is better to have one with a light than without, but would you pay extra $100, $200 for having one?

Thanks!

You can always add a $10 flashlight to your housing; there are many adapters to do just that. Focus lights are great to have, especially if you dive in murky, green water, but I never use the one built into my flash, only an external one since I almost never have my strobe pointed directly at the subject.

Bill

Edited by bvanant

i use a ikelite 4w LED - which is a bit bright and not wide enough but i mount it to the housing using an Ultralight saddle and some flexible arm sections and then place a homemade diffuser over the lens which gives it a nice spread of light. i then get the focus locked and then just leave the edge of the beam near the subject so that it doesn't show.

i tried to use the one built into my Z240s but to be honest it just seems a drain on the battery.

if you search elsewhere here on this website you will read about the pros and cons of dedicated focus lighst - i.e the fisheye Fix range of lights - but for the cost of that + shipping i can get the macromate lens that i want instead :D

Thanks for the info. Could you point me to some good (not super expensive) focusing lights and adapters?

thank

Edited by chphoto

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements