banishs

writer looking for photographer

Hello, banishs here. I just got back from tacoma dive show where i did a seminar that Jett B (can't remember full last name) did and found out that i basically have no chance of ever writing for a scuba magazine without pictures. editors apparently like the whole package, pics and words. Well, I am no photographer and honestly have no interest in it, except to appreciate the really cool pics you guys take. I then talked to someone from xray magazine who was kind enough to give me the name of this website as a possilbe site to find photographers to work with. So if you are a photographer looking for a writer let me know, or if you are willing to work with one (share pictures i may need for a story/article and share any money we may get) let me know. I am a complete newbie and have never been published to be painfully honest. But who knows, maybe you are too and we can take a chance together to try and live the dream. if this info i got is all wet (sorry can not help pun) and this is not a site that can help me, let me know too. Appreciate any replies

banishs

I sometimes supply pictures to go with articles by Tim Ecott but he is an established travel writer. In my experience the writer gets the credit. The photographer maybe gets a 6-point credit but often not. It seems unjust because a photographer actually has to go and get the pictures whereas the writer (as often as not) can do his research on the Internet. I suggest you hone your writing skills. If our Editor gets a really good article but poor or no pictures, he asks me to supply them from my library. I don't mind because I have an iniquitous contract with the magazine!

Jett Britnell

thanks should have written it down

banishs

I sometimes supply pictures to go with articles by Tim Ecott but he is an established travel writer. In my experience the writer gets the credit. The photographer maybe gets a 6-point credit but often not. It seems unjust because a photographer actually has to go and get the pictures whereas the writer (as often as not) can do his research on the Internet. I suggest you hone your writing skills. If our Editor gets a really good article but poor or no pictures, he asks me to supply them from my library. I don't mind because I have an iniquitous contract with the magazine!

thanks for the tip. appreciiate your time in answering me

banishs

Hello, banishs here. I just got back from tacoma dive show where i did a seminar that Jett B (can't remember full last name) did and found out that i basically have no chance of ever writing for a scuba magazine without pictures. editors apparently like the whole package, pics and words. Well, I am no photographer and honestly have no interest in it, except to appreciate the really cool pics you guys take. I then talked to someone from xray magazine who was kind enough to give me the name of this website as a possilbe site to find photographers to work with. So if you are a photographer looking for a writer let me know, or if you are willing to work with one (share pictures i may need for a story/article and share any money we may get) let me know. I am a complete newbie and have never been published to be painfully honest. But who knows, maybe you are too and we can take a chance together to try and live the dream. if this info i got is all wet (sorry can not help pun) and this is not a site that can help me, let me know too. Appreciate any replies

banishs

It depends allot on who you know really. If you have any inspirations to get into something like say... sport diver, then good luck. That is a tight knit group that is out of florida and if your not in the circle then you have slim to no chance.

If I was to recommend anyone, maybe try Curt Bowen at Advanced Diver magazine. His website is rebreatherworld.com, you can contact him there. Very easy going guy from what I can tell and while he may not have the circulation of Sport diver, he is a good bet to get published.

As far as photographers, I cant imagine it would be that hard. There is a guy I have dove with here in northern california thats from SOCAL that has published a few books, im sure he would be glad to help, his name is Marc Shargel.

I would possibly be interested, but to be honest i have far more experience on land than underwater, but am willing to give it a shot if you are interested.

banishs

Hello banishs,

Hope you enjoyed the presentation. You should be able to find an underwater photographer to collaborate with within the ranks of Wetpixel. Some magazines will give credit to the photographer if it is requested in the byline, ie "Text by banishs & Photography by banishs' partner". If not the photographer more often receives a credit line next to his photos. It just depends upon the publication how they choose to handle this. As for payment, if anything more than just a byline/publishing credit, some magazines will pay X $ amount for text and will pay separately for individual photo usage. Depending upon the number of photos used, it is possible the photography could earn more than the written text. This will all be summarized in the magazine's Editorial/Photo Guidelines.

Good luck! Jett

Edited by Jettbritnell

Sponsors

Advertisements