nachoman

Second strobe: Inon S-2000 vs Z-240

Hi,

I currently shoot with a Olympus E-410 with 9-18 Zuiko wide lense with one Inon Z-240.

I'm considering adding a second strobe, and I'm considering the Inon S-2000 and Z-240.

S-2000 is cheaper, and slightly less power.

Since I mostly shoot in manual, I was considering is using the S-2000 as slave of the Z-240, using the Z-240 also as the focus light when needed.

Any sugestion? Problems? Help!!!

Thanks in advance

If the Z240 breaks, you're out both strobes if you go that route?

I tend to prefer both strobes the same for redundancy. Means you dont have to worry about different O-rings for each etc as well.

Otara

Edited by Otara

If the Z240 breaks, you're out both strobes if you go that route?

I tend to prefer both strobes the same for redundancy. Means you dont have to worry about different O-rings for each etc as well.

Otara

I agree,

if you can affort the higher price for the Z-240 buy it.

Chris

I agree,

if you can affort the higher price for the Z-240 buy it.

Chris

Thank you both of you. I think it makes sense, as well as from the uniformity perspective.

However, I don't understand why if the main stops working, I could not continue with the S-2000. I'm using my current Z-240 with fiber optics and should be same, wright?

thanks again

First the O-rings for Z-240 and S-2000 are the same and can be interchanged. Both use four AA batteries and both use the same fiber optic cord. If you are firing the Z-240 with a fiber optic cord then the S-2000 would be rigged the same way. If you are firing the Z-240 with a wired cord to the housing bulkhead the S-2000 would not slave in the event of a loss of the Z-240. I have used both strobes in pairs and mixed and have seen little difference except at very high F-stop numbers like F-22. The big difference is that the S-2000 has no port for a hard wired cable to the housing.

Phil Rudin

First the O-rings for Z-240 and S-2000 are the same and can be interchanged. Both use four AA batteries and both use the same fiber optic cord. If you are firing the Z-240 with a fiber optic cord then the S-2000 would be rigged the same way. If you are firing the Z-240 with a wired cord to the housing bulkhead the S-2000 would not slave in the event of a loss of the Z-240. I have used both strobes in pairs and mixed and have seen little difference except at very high F-stop numbers like F-22. The big difference is that the S-2000 has no port for a hard wired cable to the housing.

Phil Rudin

So, if I understand correctly, and asuming I keep using fiber optics, in case of failure I would in the same position, keeping aside small light difference and no focus light?

If that's the case the cost diference would no be worth, right?

So, if I understand correctly, and asuming I keep using fiber optics, in case of failure I would in the same position, keeping aside small light difference and no focus light?

If that's the case the cost diference would no be worth, right?

One significant advantage of the s2000 is thats it is quite small and often very useful for "off-camera" strobe positioning. The sensor is quite a bit more sensitive than the Z240 through Type III, but I understand that the Type 4 has the same sensor now. I often use them for macro in mixed pairs and see no downside.

Bill

Nachoman,

if you shoot predominantly wide-angle I would go for the Z-240 for uniformity and extra-power .... The S-2000 is really good for macro, given its small dimension and ease of placement.

All the Best ..... Francesco

Sponsors

Advertisements