maczek

Ikelite Canon 5D - question

Hi!

I'm gonna buy Ikelite for my Canon 5D Mark II. Does anyone know if it's possible do detach arms from the housing? If so is there any possibility to attach wrist/hand strap to the housing to "connect" camera with diver? I'm a freediver and I'm affraid I could drop the camera while ascending. The wrist strap will be very useful for me.

Thanks,

maczek

Hi!

I'm gonna buy Ikelite for my Canon 5D Mark II. Does anyone know if it's possible do detach arms from the housing? If so is there any possibility to attach wrist/hand strap to the housing to "connect" camera with diver? I'm a freediver and I'm affraid I could drop the camera while ascending. The wrist strap will be very useful for me.

Thanks,

maczek

Hi maczek,

Short answer is yes, but when you remove the handles (and especially the weighted handle bar) your housing's buoyancy will change depending upon what lens and port you plan to use. Achieving neutral buoyancy in your housing is even more important in freediving, but without the handles, handle bar and with an 8" dome the housing will likely reach the surface before you (if and when you black out and let it go from your grip :)). The handles attach to the bottom of the housing with quarter twenty bolts and you could attach a wrist-strap there if you wanted.

I would suggest to play in the pool with your housing first and get an idea what the housing wants to do when you let it go. If the port is too heavy or too light your wrists and forearms will be tired soon not far into your dive. "Tricking out" the rig for your style of diving and also your subject matter will determine success in your pictures. Having your housing neutral and not fighting you is what makes your dive a pleasure versus a pain in the arms.

have fun with your Ike,

Bo

Sponsors

Advertisements