Sign in to follow this  
wommby

Ia anyone using a Nikon 14-24mm lens

Hi,

Considering purchasing a d700 and a Nexus housing. Can anyone help me with what would be the best wide angle lens to use? Thought the 14-24mm might be a goer but don't know. Can you help?

If this is not the right lens can you tell me what is best and what port etc you would use?

Wommby

Hi Wommby,

If you search this forum there have been a number of threads on the 14-24. It's a difficult lens to get really great results (corner sharpness) with underwater. The lens cannot take a diopter and works best only with the really large domes.

You are much better off with the new 16-35 or the older 17-35. I have recently switched from the 17-35 to the 16-35

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35840

Hi Wommby,

If you search this forum there have been a number of threads on the 14-24. It's a difficult lens to get really great results (corner sharpness) with underwater. The lens cannot take a diopter and works best only with the really large domes.

You are much better off with the new 16-35 or the older 17-35. I have recently switched from the 17-35 to the 16-35

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35840

Hi Loftus,

Thanks for this information. I was wanting this lens for topside shots mainly and needed to know if it would work underwater. Thanks again.

Deb

Hi Loftus,

Thanks for this information. I was wanting this lens for topside shots mainly and needed to know if it would work underwater. Thanks again.

Deb

Some more help. Does the 16-35mm lens need anything dioptors and what port would you use with this lens?

Deb

No diopter needed with an 8" Subal dome, but a long 60-70mm extension.

No diopter needed with an 8" Subal dome, but a long 60-70mm extension.

Thanks again.

Deb

Hello Wommby,

I think the edge problems people are having with the 14-24 are the same problems they would have with any 14mm lens. I think that they can be overcome in part by careful manual focusing rather than auto-focusing. I have used a fixed 14mm lens for over/under shots for year and last year posted a pool shot over/under with the 14-24. Can't remember the topic title.

More recently I also added a 16-35mm lens to my glass collection. I haven't shot much underwater with either lens because the vis has been less than ideal when I had the time. But at least I now have the housing gears for both lenses.

I will be flying up to Bali for the last two weeks of June. And then driving east to dive in NSW for a few weeks. Perhaps we could meet somewhere along the way and I could let you try either, or both, lenses.

Fred

Hello Wommby,

I think the edge problems people are having with the 14-24 are the same problems they would have with any 14mm lens. I think that they can be overcome in part by careful manual focusing rather than auto-focusing. I have used a fixed 14mm lens for over/under shots for year and last year posted a pool shot over/under with the 14-24. Can't remember the topic title.

More recently I also added a 16-35mm lens to my glass collection. I haven't shot much underwater with either lens because the vis has been less than ideal when I had the time. But at least I now have the housing gears for both lenses.

I will be flying up to Bali for the last two weeks of June. And then driving east to dive in NSW for a few weeks. Perhaps we could meet somewhere along the way and I could let you try either, or both, lenses.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Keep in touch. Would really enjoy the possibility of meeting up and having a try. What sort of housing do you use?

Deb

Hey Fred!

Do post photos when you drive from Bali to NSW..... :B):

Best wishes mate

Hi Wommby,

I use highly modified (improved) Seacam housings with Nikon D700's. Right now I have only 45 degree viewfinders. It would be nice to offer to put the 16-35 in one housing and the 14-24 in the other for comparison on the same dive. But I only have one big dome port with me that is suitable for either lens. Then just very small diameter dome ports. But a dive with one on the first dive and the other on the second would give you a real good idea of the two. And if a swimming pool is available, then there would be much less time between seeing the two lenses and perhaps some fixed reference points.

If you send me a direct message with your email, it will be much easier to let you know as my travel plans develop. I'm hoping to go to NSW to dive at Jervis Bay, Fish Rock Cave and on northward. Perhaps even into southern Queensland. My email is fbavendam@hotmail.com

Fred

Tim,

Yeah, driving from Bali to NSW would be fun. I've never driven a submarine. I don't have a current email for you. If you still have mine, send me your non-KBR email and we can keep in touch. My June trip to Bali is only two weeks and primarily to get another three months in Australia without going all the way back to the US. I may also be back to Bali after DEMA - mid-November to mid-December. Or longer and possibly elsewhere, too. Where are you these days?

Fred

Edited by divegypsy

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements