natejanderson

Underwater Videography Internships

I will be graduating in December 2010, with a degree in cinema, television and radio production. One outlet I am very interested in is underwater videography. I'm advanced OW certified and want to go farther. I've found some internships such as:

http://www.simplelifedivers.com/scubainter...p-year-work.php

This would be good for me to get use to buoyancy, while filming, as well as giving me advanced certifications. Are there other internships that may involve more of a professional approach to filming? Or maybe a way to become an assistant to a professional, currently working in the industry?

I'm comfortable with fully manual functions of professional cameras on land, but would like to "dive right in" to using the same functions and equipment underwater (pun intended :D. Any advice?

-Nate

Nate -

That sounds like it's too good to be true.

There is a big difference between "low-paid laborer" and "underwater videography intern." Be sure to do your research before you get involved, as you might be working as a dive master instead of a videographer.

Most professionals I know have constant requests for internships, but they are really hard to come by because it takes so many resources to properly train someone.

In any case, good luck -- hope it's the position you've been looking for!

That's sort of what I figured...

That being said. I know that I have a whole lot to learn still. I just want to find the best opportunities to do so, even if I have to pay. Education is expensive.

Even if it's the best I can find, and I end up just leading dives and doing a little video work on the side, I still feel that I need to get more "diving education," maybe that would still be a good place to do so.

Thanks.

I will be graduating in December 2010, with a degree in cinema, television and radio production. One outlet I am very interested in is underwater videography. I'm advanced OW certified and want to go farther. I've found some internships such as:

http://www.simplelifedivers.com/scubainter...p-year-work.php

This would be good for me to get use to buoyancy, while filming, as well as giving me advanced certifications. Are there other internships that may involve more of a professional approach to filming? Or maybe a way to become an assistant to a professional, currently working in the industry?

I'm comfortable with fully manual functions of professional cameras on land, but would like to "dive right in" to using the same functions and equipment underwater (pun intended :D. Any advice?

-Nate

I guess that you will pay them $6500 or so (the 195,000 baht) then you might get some money back for shooting video of the guests. Not a bad way to get more experience but I am pretty sure you do some of the paying up front.

Bill

Koh Tao is the largest scuba diving school system in Asia, producing up to 10k students. Most of them are backpackers. How many backpackers will pay $20-50 for a DVD?

Many of the dive shops train divers from zero to DM or Instructor in record time. Most of them who graduate don't have enough experience to work anywhere else but thailand where they want cheap farang dive guides to placate the tourist's prejudice against local guides. Language is also another factor Now, with this program, you'll be slaving everyday as labor to prep beginning divers and as a dive guide and paying for that privilege. I know quite a few people who have gone this route and many don't regret it.

One of our members has gone a similar route in Malaysia and has shot for the BBC now. So there are many ways to go about it. If you are good, it will show in the end. It also doesn't hurt to know the right people. How often are you going to meet the right people in Ko Tao? Not as often as Indonesia or Azores.

Thanks for the input. The biggest thing I am looking for is further dive training, with guidance to underwater videography, on a professional level.

I am currently advanced OW, with only about 40 dives. I'd like to gain the education, and experience, to reach DM (at least).

I have a fairly thorough understanding of video production, apart from the underwater specifics. I'd just like to find the best way to receive further education.

Because I live in Michigan, diving is limited, and not as interesting or exciting as other places in the world. I'd like to pursue my education in such places.

Any other suggestions?

i would second Scubazoo

Funny looking back at this more than 6 years later. I did the due diligence of getting my DM locally in LA. I've been shooting underwater and top-side. My career isn't sustained by UW shooting, but punctuated by it. It's more of a secondary skill that aides me getting other work.

• Like 3

Interesting to hear your perspective, Nate. Are you working in LA's film/television world primary then? What sort of underwater work are you doing that punctuates your career?

Thanks for popping back in, and updating your story. Like Dreifish, I would be interested in hearing more about how you got from where you were to where you are now.

Yeah, fascinating. Thanks for the update. Keep us posted......

Sponsors

Advertisements