wommby

Glass or Acrylic Port

Hi,

Does anybody know whether it is best to get a housing with a glass port or one with acrylic? Am leaning towards the Nexus housing with a glass port at moment but also consider the Nauticam Housing with an acrylic Port. Is there any difference on quality between these?

Deb

Hi,

Does anybody know whether it is best to get a housing with a glass port or one with acrylic? Am leaning towards the Nexus housing with a glass port at moment but also consider the Nauticam Housing with an acrylic Port. Is there any difference on quality between these?

Deb

I would suggest you do a search while you wait for people to reply. This topic gets rehashed on a regular basis.

Hi,

Deb

Hi Deb,

There are definitely pluses and minuses to both. As onewolf mentioned, you'll find quite a bit of info and opinions on these forums with a search. The Nauticam can definitely be fitted with a glass port; several options are available. I believe that the Nexus can be outfitted with an acrylic port as well.

Cheers,

Chris

I took a Nauticam with the Zen glass domes (100mm and 200mm). Good kit. I understand that Nauticam may be about to introduce their own brand glass domes soon. Optically, there dosn't seem to be much to choose between glass or acrylic. Glass is much heavier but is less prone to scatching. Acrylic is lighter, easier to scratch but also easier to repair. Lots of debate about this on WP.

Thanks Guys, will do some searching on the forum and have a further read.

Cheers - Deb

Hi Deb,

I have a Nexus housing and recently purchased one of Barry Guimbellot's excellent custom domes which are made of acrylic. If you are

after a compact dome it is an excellent option. To use on the Nexus D700 housing which is an M4 thread you'd need to get the M4 to M5

port adaptor (PA5-4). Nauticam also have an adaptor which would allow you to use Barry's port which has a M5 thread.

I know how hard it is to make a choice on what housing to get in Victoria without access to shops to handle the different brands. If you

dive on the Mornington Peninsula and would like to have a look at a Nexus D90 housing I'd be happy to arrange for a shore dive. One of my

buddies has the Nauticam 7D housing and may be happy to let you view that too. Do you go to the SWAMP meetings? The next meeting

might be a good time to arrange to meet if you do. Otherwise I dive almost every weekend.

Cheers,

Jim.

Before I get my d90 housing, I have consider nexus, aquatica and nauticam lately and I go with nauticam with few reson over came others. Nauticam have more choice choosing a port and dome with adapter kit available.

What I take into account when I have to make this decision is:

There is no way of discerning if a picture was taken with an acrylic or a glass dome port.

Acrylic is cheaper, lighter, easier to polish (and scratch).

So I prefer acrylic although glass domes have a "lust" taste to them!

Sponsors

Advertisements