Sign in to follow this  
Geopadi

Are WI FI memory cards any good in housing

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience first hand or otherwise of the Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card. or the cheaper versions, I was thinking of getting one as it seems ideal for downloading between dives without the hassles of opening the housing.

I have an Ikelite houseing for my Nikon D90 and often leave the 16gb Sandisk extremeIII in as I would rather not open the housing especially when camera battery is fine as it often is.

Any good advice would be appreciated, it seems too good to be true!

Thanks

George

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience first hand or otherwise of the Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card. or the cheaper versions, I was thinking of getting one as it seems ideal for downloading between dives without the hassles of opening the housing.

I have an Ikelite houseing for my Nikon D90 and often leave the 16gb Sandisk extremeIII in as I would rather not open the housing especially when camera battery is fine as it often is.

Thanks

George

I guess a lot would depend on where you are. They apparently need both a router and broadband access and on most boats that is just no there. Also, I could understand that inside a metal housing it migth be tough to get a good signal.

Bill

I guess a lot would depend on where you are. They apparently need both a router and broadband access and on most boats that is just no there. Also, I could understand that inside a metal housing it migth be tough to get a good signal.

Bill

From what I read (and it was a bit murky in some places) it looks like after the initial set-up you can go without a router, though on Rob Gailbraith's Site he seems to indicate that it will in fact work.

* Ad hoc wireless connections You can establish a wireless link direct to a Wi-Fi capable Mac or PC computer, without the need for a separate Wi-Fi router (though it's still possible to use one if you prefer). The Eye-Fi Pro has been tested and found to be able to connect in ad hoc mode to smartphones too, notably certain ones running the Symbian or Windows Mobile operating systems that are capable of acting as an ad hoc Wi-Fi host, says Yuval Koren, Eye-Fi's Chief Product Officer.

As with earlier Eye-Fi cards, it's necessary to be online at the time you add a new wireless network configuration, ad hoc or otherwise, to the Eye-Fi Pro. This will mean some network juggling so that your computer is on the Internet and accessing the Eye-Fi website while simultaneously talking to the Eye-Fi card over a separate ad hoc Wi-Fi connection.

The signal could be difficult, but perhaps the open areas of housings may let enough of the signal through.

From what I read (and it was a bit murky in some places) it looks like after the initial set-up you can go without a router, though on Rob Gailbraith's Site he seems to indicate that it will in fact work.

The signal could be difficult, but perhaps the open areas of housings may let enough of the signal through.

Thanks for that, yes with my Ikelite housing I don´t believe signal loss will be too problematic with Wifi and I had see on Amazon review that you dont need a router once set up so it will be interesting to see. When I get one I will post results, meantime it would be nice to hear if someone has experienced problems or if it very slow (supposed to be class 6).

Thanks for the link

George

Yeah, this would be a nice feature to transmit the pictures without opening the housing.

I am interessed too to know if and how it works.

Chris

You may get additional helpfull information on the forum on "Image processing, Printing and Storage"

here

Hi,

Thanks

George

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements