Drew

Airlines/Airports with strict hand/cabin luggage rules

Kogia,

Singapore and Kuala Lumpur airports both do the "real" security screening at the gate itself, so you will not be able to take liquids through this checkpoint, regardless of where you obtained it (including if you just bought it at the secure part of the airport). Very silly indeed.

Just letting everyone know that Brisbane Airport and I beleive now most Australian international airports are strict on the weight of the carryon baggage. It has to be carry on size and weight less than 7kg. Its not the airlines enforcing this rule its the security before you go through customs.

I had two bags which contained most of my housing, camera's, lenses etc etc and ended up buying a duty free bag and placing some of the heavier camera gear in that.

Bascially the rule is a carry-on bag and laptop bag and a suitable amount of duty free. With each item not weighing more than 7kg.

Checkin wasnt a problem as I flew with Virginblue/pacificblue. One dive gear bag with maxium weight of 32kg and another checkin bag weight 15kg. They asked to see if all my gear in my dive bag was related to diving which it did.

Regards Mark

Hi All,

We recently flew with Emirates from Lon - KL, then around malaysia via Air Asia. No problem whatso-ever on Airasia with the hand luggage (it's the small pelican box that's just on the limit of the hand luggage) but it weighs 11KG. Only issue we had was with the flight out of London where they weighed it and woman said it was way heavy. Took out the body of the housing and put the lenses in pockets and then she said it was OK and we walked off and repacked everything into the box so it did seem a little pointless.

With the restriction to one piece of hand luggage thing - got a tip from someone (can't even remember who) to invest in a small - what us British would call 'bum bag' and our american friends would call a 'fanny pack' - you can pack this with batteries / tapes etc etc (mine ended up weighing about 3.5kg) and they can't see it when you are checking in and the x-ray staff never seem to care.

Although we didn't have any issues - the constant threat of having issues was a killer for all of the flights (about 7 in total) - we decided in the end that it woudl be easier to put the camera in the housing (it's a video camera so housing not small), put on the flat port, stash the other lens in pockets, fill pelican with clothes and check it into the hold and then just take a backpack through to put the camera in when you don't have to carry it past offical looking poeple. Least then you have the potective case to throw on the boat, but don't have to worry that half the handbaggage limit is actually taken up by the expensive box and weridly heavy small wheels.

Anyone had any issue with hand carrying?

Edited by Chrispie

I enjoyed all of your stories and great info. I flew Singapore AL SFO/SIN. I had a pelican case that I have been using for 4 years. It is, I think, the 1020, the small one with wheels and is smaller than many other hand carry bags. I was asked to unload the case and switch it with my clothes bag and to use my clothes bag as my carry on. They would NOT allow me to carry the pelican case on. I also had a 50 lb dive gear bag. I was able to make the switch but that left me with my expensive camera gear in a soft duffel bag that had no shoulder strap. I guarded it the entire trip. The pelican case weighed 23 lbs full which was over the 15 lbs allowed but the bag after switching everything was still over the 15 lbs. I have found other AL I will be using from now on that are no problem. Many will allow you to carry it on if they know it is camera equipment.

I flew PAL (Philippine Airlines) Vancouver-Manila-Tacloban (Leyte), return: Leaving Vancouver, carry on was no problem. Manila to Leyte, same, no problem. Leaving Leyte, some of our group had roller bags, porter cases. The PAL guys and airport security started to eye them for check-in. I managed to convince the PAL guy to let the items slide by flashing one of the "Journalist" credentials one of our group was carrying. I stayed an extra week in Manila to visit family and friends, checking in to the airport with a Think Tank Streetwalker Hard drive back pack and a Targus 17" laptop case was no problems. 3 Bags at 50lbs each no problem as I had the PAL Sportsplus Global. Worth the $120 as I had the 3 bags leaving Vancouver too!

Great service from PAL, however the check-in counter in Vancouver is manned by a company hired by the airlines to do the processing, they handle I guess all the flights to Asia. The dumb---ts mis-checked my bag to stop in Manila, and the resort had to assign one guy to wait for my bag.

Cheers

Stu

Oh, don't get me started on US airports! I'm American, so unfortunately every flight I take includes at least one US airport. Out of the dozens of countries I've visited, none have been so strict--and at the same time so inefficient--as those in the States.

*shakes head*

-Gina

HUH? Last year I flew on at least 140 U.S. flights and never had a carry-on weighed nor did anyone else in any of the lines. Brisbane yes indeed, Makassar once yes, once no but never in the U.S. and people routinely bring on carry-on bags that they can't lift. As for efficiency many U.S. airports are pretty bad, but none as bad efficiency wise as most in Indonesia.

Bill

HUH? Last year I flew on at least 140 U.S. flights and never had a carry-on weighed nor did anyone else in any of the lines. Brisbane yes indeed, Makassar once yes, once no but never in the U.S. and people routinely bring on carry-on bags that they can't lift. As for efficiency many U.S. airports are pretty bad, but none as bad efficiency wise as most in Indonesia.

Bill, if you re-read that post you'll see my comment was in response to another about water bottles. My comment was in reference to having to dump out your water.

-Gina

I flew PAL (Philippine Airlines) Vancouver-Manila-Tacloban (Leyte), return: Leaving Vancouver, carry on was no problem. Manila to Leyte, same, no problem. Leaving Leyte, some of our group had roller bags, porter cases. The PAL guys and airport security started to eye them for check-in. I managed to convince the PAL guy to let the items slide by flashing one of the "Journalist" credentials one of our group was carrying. I stayed an extra week in Manila to visit family and friends, checking in to the airport with a Think Tank Streetwalker Hard drive back pack and a Targus 17" laptop case was no problems. 3 Bags at 50lbs each no problem as I had the PAL Sportsplus Global. Worth the $120 as I had the 3 bags leaving Vancouver too!

Great service from PAL, however the check-in counter in Vancouver is manned by a company hired by the airlines to do the processing, they handle I guess all the flights to Asia. The dumb---ts mis-checked my bag to stop in Manila, and the resort had to assign one guy to wait for my bag.

Cheers

Stu

I just flew domestic PAL today. After shelling out almost $100 for excess luggage (36kg) at the ticket counter, they were weighing the hand luggage after you left the TA. Strick 7kg for a single carryon bag... Cameras did not get any exemption. This was simply ridiculous.

Oh, don't get me started on US airports! I'm American, so unfortunately every flight I take includes at least one US airport. Out of the dozens of countries I've visited, none have been so strict--and at the same time so inefficient--as those in the States.

*shakes head*

-Gina

In the US they are ruthless about water bottles. I've never had a carryon weight on a US flight and have never seen one rejected. No matter how much over sized. The only times I've seen people made to check a carryon is when it wouldn't fit.

This looks like a pretty helpful gadget!

www.jaktogo.com

Edited by Rud-gr

I just flew domestic PAL today. After shelling out almost $100 for excess luggage (36kg) at the ticket counter, they were weighing the hand luggage after you left the TA. Strick 7kg for a single carryon bag... Cameras did not get any exemption. This was simply ridiculous.

I take it that your camera carry-on was over 7kg. After you paid the extra $100 did PAL allow you to take your carry-on on board or did they make you check it?

What about Air Pacific from LX to Fiji? I usually carry the strobes, ports in a backpack and the cameras, housings in a pelican case as carry on.

Recently flew EVA LAX to Denpasar and no questions asked about carry on bags either way.

We have a trip planned to Fiji via LAX to Fiji. Cardonna says Air Pacific is very strict about their carry on and will weigh all of it. I have e-mailed Air Pacific to find out if I can take more carry on for a price. There answer was if they have room. So, I will not know until the last minute if I am allowed or not. I have a Think Tank bag that will either be full or not. It will take up the same amount of room either way. I may have to invest in one of those vests you all talk about.

In the US they are ruthless about water bottles. I've never had a carryon weight on a US flight and have never seen one rejected. No matter how much over sized. The only times I've seen people made to check a carryon is when it wouldn't fit.

how about in terms of # + size of carry-on? ie taking a medium-size laptop+lens bag along with a big backpack for housing.

i havent taken a US domestic flight in some time, and just thinking ahead for JFK-LAX flight i'll be taking for a trip later this year on AA (economy and booked as one-way separately).

For HKG: note the critical thing is the bag size right before you go through security/immigration. I used to carry a slightly "taller" backpack and got sent back to the counter (where it was weighed and I had to make noise) all the time before getting a smaller one. (no issues with CX, Air Pacific, MAS, SQ, Cebu Pacific even). I am hearing that Phillipine Air routinely checks carry on recently though.

Intra-asia Ive also had no issues in Singapore, KL, Male, Jakarta, Manila. MAS also quite generous for economy checkin so long as you say "diving equipment" (total 32kg))

It really depends on your points of departure. Sydney was great, Brisbane was pure hell. Good luck!

Cheers,

Marli

Anyone that knows what Virgin Australia/Virgin Blue says these days? Will be flying with them next week...

Virgin Blue/Australia, like all airlines in Australia have a 7kg carry on limit for economy and they do enforce it (business/premium give you two 7kg bags I think). At times they don't weigh carry on, but from my experience when you check in 1-2 heavy bags they always ask to weigh your carry on. If it goes over 7kg they will ask you to remove stuff or force you to check it so be prepared. They will let you keep your laptop in a separate carry on bag as a personal item (must be old style sling bag, not backpack), so I always do that and stuff a few lenses in there too.

As for check in baggage look up their policy, understand the implications and prepare to pay. It can get expensive by the kilo here too, versus the bag type limits that have in the US. You should also inquire to see if international connections give you

If you're buying domestic tickets always prepay the baggage for the first bag as it's much cheaper. No bag can go over 32kg absolute either, and most make you pay past 20-23kg by the kilo.

Sometimes you can get lucky, but rarely in Oz from my experience.

I'll be flying Sydney-Cairns and back. Only one bag to check in, and I've prepaid up to 23 kg. Man these things annoy me!

I have had experience with a couple of airlines where my cabin luggage was flagged because they exceeded the limit: Emirates and Indonesia Air Asia. Both have the somewhat common 7kg limit on cabin luggage.

• Emirates, they caught it when I was checking for a flight from Jakarta to Singapore a few years ago. Also, once when transiting in Houston on a non-Emirates flight, I happened to walk by an Emirates gate about to depart, and I saw a carry-on luggage measuring device with a scale.
  • Indonesia Air Asia, they caught it on my way to the gate (after check-in) on a flight from Bandung to Singapore. In Bandung, on the way to the gate, there was an X-ray check, and after that there was an AirAsia agent checking your boarding pass. The officer doing the X-ray check notified the agent to check the weight of my carry-on rolling suitcase (the agent had a scale besides her), and it was more than twice the 7kg limit. Fortunately, I was traveling with someone else, and I moved some stuff to her carry-on. Also, I was carrying a backpack which was almost equally as heavy as the suitcase, but the agent didn't check that. This might be due to the fact that I was unlucky, because for most of the other passengers the agent didn't check the weight of their carry-ons.

you can add Air Asia in general, there is a weighing scale at the departure gate before the X-ray machines. what i have been told by their employees is that you can have a carry-on (1 piece not exceeding 7 kg) and duty-free purchases or yr laptop. maximum!

they do not mind if collectively you have 2 bags (total not exceeding 14 kg) and one laptop plus one duty-free between 2 pax.

but i cannot find it on their website. this was told to me by their staff at KL--their headquarters.

This probably applies to almost no one, but I had huge problem with Rex (small planes in regional Australia) two weeks ago. Over 7kg in carry on and you hit the dreaded "OHS requirements" and nothing can be done. And because the "airports" are tiny, the staff watch you as you repack over and over again. For $55 they will let you carry a bag to the plane and watch as the pilot puts it in the hold, so that can help. To assist fee collection in this area, they routinely weigh every hand luggage bag. Following quite a long debate and several repacks, I watched channel 7 carry on their film camera - at 15kgs!

Other Australian domestic - Jetstar now allows 10kg carryon, but only in one bag. Qantas allows 2 x 7kgs, and one has to go under seat in front of you. They're not keen on coats, laptops, purses, etc in addition to those 2 bags though - consolidation is now the best bet. I think Virgin is still 1 x 7kgs plus coat, purse, etc but I'm not sure.

LOL, thanks JimG. That's well worth knowing.

Except that Jim was just lucky: Thompson can, and do weigh, not only charging excess but insisting that the bag goes into the hold

Yes Tim you are right. Been with them again since my earlier reply (which was based on multiple trips with them) and got weighed at check-in. I was about 8.5kg and told to get it down to 7kg. I was wearing a photo jacket and still had some space in it fortunately - also a camera body had a strap attached so I just slung it round my neck. That did the job and I switched it all back once I walked round the first corner. Loopy isn't it?

I'm flying to Auckland on Air New Zealand economy class in April. I've heard their carry-on policy is draconian: 15 pounds. Anybody have experience with ANZ, and any suggestions (besides a photographer's vest)?

Sponsors

Advertisements