Sign in to follow this  
MitHere

Second strobe

Hi guys, I am thinking of adding a second strobe to my set-up of a G11 and an Inon S2000. Do you think another S2000 would be a good way to go? What are the actual benefits of a second strobe? Or should I be going D2000/Z240?

Thanks, humour my fantasies with me :D The black hole hobby is upon me

Adam

Hey Adam

Hmmm, don't we all know that Black Hole..... :)

The main advantages of two strobes, as I see them, are: more flexibility leading to a greater variety of potential styles of lighting; you can chose to have more even lighting and less harsh shadows; better coverage of wide angle shots; redundancy - if one fails you have another; more lighting power.

On mixing strobes, based on SLR experience, my inclination is to go with two the same. Instinctively easier to operate, same batteries/battery life/recharge time, pretty much the same result from each strobe - and good redundancy. If you are not planning to move to SLRs I'd suggest a second D2000. But if you plan to move to an SLR my inclination would be to buy a Z240 with the longer-term plan of trading in the D2000 for a second Z240. But G11 users may be able to give better advice on that.

Hope this helps.

Adam,

as far as the advantages of adding a second strobe are concerned I would agree 100% with Tim points.

As for second strobe choice, it mainly depends on your style of photography and future gear development: if you are going to stay with a PS compact gear and you shoot mainly macro and portraits the S-2000 you be the strobe to go for. On the other hand, should you be planning to upgrade your kit to a SLR and shoot also wide-angle then the Z-240 would be the strobe to buy. As Tim suggested, once you'll be ready to upgrade to SLR you could easily sell the S-2000 and buy a second Z-240.

Just my $ 0.02 ..... Francesco

I have a G11 with the Patima aluminium housing and use my "old" 2007 Inon D-2000 strobe with excellent results.

Basically There are 3 options regarding Inon strobes:

1. get another S-2000 for size and/other weight reasons.

It seems that it has the same power as the D-2000 and it's small size looks good with the G11.

2. trade or sell the S-2000 and get 2 D-2000

The D-2000 has two strobe tubes, weights almost the double of the S-2000

3. Trade or sell the S-2000 and get 2 Z-240 because they are slightly (GN4) more powerful but that is underwater not much in distance.

You can see and confront them here: http://www.inon.jp/products/line_up.html

I see no reason to buy the Z-240 for expandibility reasons as modern, advanced, optical triggered slave strobes like the S/D-2000 or Z-240 an guarantee perfect exposures with virtually any camera and housing on the market able to fire and let pass the internal strobe. Only backdraw is that they need the flash from the internal strobe to work and that can be a problem with Ikelite DSLR and some aluminium housings without optical strobe "window".

Depending on your budget and personal needs i would go with the D-2000 as i find the Z-240 not really woth the extra money and the S-2000 is only 1 strobe tube providing a slightly oval beam.

Hire some further articles regarding the Inon strobes:

Difference S-2000 D-2000 http://reefphoto.com/tt/index.php?action=kb&article=11

Inon Settings: http://reefphoto.com/tt/index.php?action=kb&article=7

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer

Sweet, thanks guys..

I plan on staying with a PS for a few years, mainly because of backpacking a lot haha

So what you're saying is the S2000 is sweet for macro and two S2000s will be even better for macro because I can gt more even lighting and sweet creative angles?

:)

Sweet, thanks guys..

I plan on staying with a PS for a few years, mainly because of backpacking a lot haha

So what you're saying is the S2000 is sweet for macro and two S2000s will be even better for macro because I can gt more even lighting and sweet creative angles?

:P

Great for CFWA too.... :):P;)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements