Sign in to follow this  
eileenchangs

Amazing Anilao diving --macro-wide angle photography

Very nice Perry - that sure brings back some good memories for me.

Cheers

James

Hi James :

Thanks, Anilao is very good for wide-angle, macro and macro wide-angle photography , the problem is you have to bring minimal two cameras in the water , I use one D2x + Tokina 10-17 mm lens + kenko 1.4x teleconvertor for macro-wide , the other is D90 + 60 mm lens for macro .

Perry Kuo

very nice. Yes, Peri is a top notch DM and even better spotter!

Stu

Not only is he a great DM and guide, he is an excellent photographer, both, above and underwater.

Great pictures Perry.

I dove in Puerto Galera last Feb for my first time in the Philippines.

Seeing your pics I might have to dive in Anilao next time I'm down there.

Thanks for sharing!

Hi Moosepants :

Thanks for your nice words , I am planning to dive PG in late Aug . which dive shop / dive sites do

you recommend ?

Perry Kuo

I dove with Asia Divers in Puerto Galera.

Great diving with great instructors.

Stayed at El Galleon which is the resort connected with Asia Divers.

Here is a link for Island Dreams who I booked through for my trip

http://www.islandream.com/

Also the food excellent!

As far as dive sites I would say Verde Island is a must (30 minute boat ride)

Most other sites are 5 to 10 minutes away max.

Which is great because you can chill out for over an hour between dives at the bar and get some food, surf the internet or watch some tv.

I would also recommend Giant Clam dive site which is a nursery for the Giant Clam. (20 to 30 Clams)

I will posts some pics and a link to my smugmug site in the near future.

Cheers!

Thanks , Moosepants :

How is the wreck diving in PG ? which wreck is the " must dive " ? How is the critter dive there ?

which site is the best critter dive site , day or night dives ?

Regards

Perry Kuo

I recently spent a week in Puerto Galera diving with Asia Divers/El Galleon Resort before moving on to Anilao. Here's my thoughts on some your questions:

How is the wreck diving in PG ? which wreck is the " must dive " ?
There are a number of wrecks that have been sunk on purpose. We dived four of them and out of those our favourite was the Alma Jane followed closely by the Drydock.

How is the critter dive there ? which site is the best critter dive site
Critters are pretty good (but not as good as Anilao) at some dive sites. Our favourite critter sites were Boulders, Giant Clams, Sinandigan Wall and Kilima Steps.

Avoid going to Puerto Galera around the spring tides, the currents can be strong at many of the dive sites.

Here's some our shots taken in Puerto Galera:

http://www.submersiveimages.com/Underwater...891113805_a7zSB

There's a good map of a lot of the dive sites here.

Edited by Gudge

Hi Gudge :

Very good pictures, esp. wide-angle wreck shoot , is the soft coral + steel construction the " drydock " .

bat fish + wreck ----alma jane wreck ? Is the best muck dive site " sabang bay , sea grass " ? thanks for

sharing your experiences .

Regards

Perry Kuo

... is the soft coral + steel construction the " drydock " .
If you mean this shot, no it was taken on the Alma Jane. The four shots from this one to this one were taken on the drydock, all other wreck shots were taken on the Alma Jane.

bat fish + wreck ----alma jane wreck ?
Yes.

Is the best muck dive site " sabang bay , sea grass " ?
They were both good but I thought the deeper area around the Giant Clams were a better muck dive (although the visibility was worse).

Fantastic shots, thanks a lot for posting. I dive Anilao regularly (I live in Manila and share a beach house there) and you've got stuff I have not seen. Great macro work and the live shells are spectacular - I have only managed to find white cowries in the day time. I really like the jelly in #50, the color is amazing, can you share a little about how you made that image? And what the heck is #23

By the way, for anyone visiting Anilao, I can highly recommend Acacia Dive Resort. It is owned and operated by a keen amateur photographer and was built specifically for the needs of underwater shooters with roomy individual gear stations and lockers and dedicated camera rinse tanks adjacent to the equipment deck. They also manage to find very good local DMs who are happy to take your wish list and find the critters you want. The only drawback is very small rooms but the open air restaurant and bar are very comfortable and friendly and the food is good. I stayed there with a group from work last weekend and had an excellent dive weekend.

Edited by troporobo

Hi troporobo :

Thanks for your nice words , all of the beautiful cowries were taken from night dive at secret bay . I think the late after and night dives

at secret bay are " must do " while diving Anilao. The special color jelly is also taken from secret bay in the late afternoon dive , this

color jelly is my first time to see in my diving life ( 15 years ) .

Perry kuo

I have not yet dived Secret Bay at night, but you have just elevated it to the top of my list. Thanks again for the inspiration!

Hi Gudge , Moosepants :

I recently returned from PG diving , the great " Alma Jane wreck " is very beautiful, colorful huge soft corals covered all of exterior surface of the wreck, ever propeller , I did 3 dives on this wreck. Canyons, Verde islands are good . The Hill ( giant clam ) is good for muck diving , see my pictures :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21146950@N00/...57624711976655/

perry kuo

Hi Perry,

Wonderful sets of photos...Thanks for sharing. Makes me wanna go diving in Anilao as I'm keen on macro photography. It would be nice if you could give me some heads up. You could PM me if it's not convenient to mention in the open.

Thanks and cheers

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements