Pfuller

Flash Tube for Ikelite Strobe

My old Ikelite SS200 substrobe has stopped emitting a flash when triggered. After running a series of tests i can only come up with that the flash tube needs replacement.

I'm triggering manually by shorting across the ground and trigger contacts in the strobes bulkhead, and although it triggers the ready light on the side correctly, (showing that its recieving the trigger signal), it fails to emit a flash. Everything else on the strobe seems to work OK. The battery indicators lights display correctly, the modelling light works ok, and the capacitor sounds like it's charging, its just not flashing.

Can anyone suggest what else it could be other than the flash tube? And does anyone know if flash tubes for the SS200 can still be bought?

My old Ikelite SS200 substrobe has stopped emitting a flash when triggered. After running a series of tests i can only come up with that the flash tube needs replacement.

I'm triggering manually by shorting across the ground and trigger contacts in the strobes bulkhead, and although it triggers the ready light on the side correctly, (showing that its recieving the trigger signal), it fails to emit a flash. Everything else on the strobe seems to work OK. The battery indicators lights display correctly, the modelling light works ok, and the capacitor sounds like it's charging, its just not flashing.

Can anyone suggest what else it could be other than the flash tube? And does anyone know if flash tubes for the SS200 can still be bought?

Have you contacted Ikelite as thew will know it for sure?

ikelite@ikelite.com

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ikelite/

Chris

I agree about contacting Ikelite. I don't know if they support the SS200's anymore but I sure hope they do as I have a BUNCH of them. I think they may use the same tube as the DS200 but I'm not sure.

Cheers

James

Look what's written on the Ikelite FAQ here: http://www.ikelite.com/faq/faq_repairs.html

I have older Ikelite equipment. Can it still be repaired?

You might check feasibility before sending a very old item for repair. We do have some non-repairable products after being in business for over 45 years. Lack of parts and inability to obtain certain electronics components has forced us to discontinue the repair or service of several products.

Some items that we are no longer able to repair include but are not limited to:

- Ikelite DDL dive watches

- Screamers

- EO Cords, T-Connectors

- Substrobe 150, 225, 300, 400

- Substrobe Ai, Ai/n, 100A

- Substrobe AQ/S, M, MS, MV, S (repair of flooded battery compartment only)

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer

I've contacted Ikelite and they can replace the flash tube but i have to send it back to them (which is a real pain from Australia..expensive shipping too...more than the strobes worth)

I was hoping they'd send out the flash tube so i could replace it myself, but they wont do it.

Anyone know if the flash tube can be sourced from anywhere else???

I've contacted Ikelite and they can replace the flash tube but i have to send it back to them (which is a real pain from Australia..expensive shipping too...more than the strobes worth)

I was hoping they'd send out the flash tube so i could replace it myself, but they wont do it.

Anyone know if the flash tube can be sourced from anywhere else???

Is it really that expensive? I'm guessing a lot of weight is in the batteries that you don't have to send along. I'm not in Australia, but in Sweden, but our postal service shipped my gear at about half the price UPS charges ( about $50 ). And that was both the housing and an DS160.

/Björn

It would be really great if Ikelite had overseas service centers like the other strobe manufacturers. Shipping a strobe from Oz to US and back is not usually cost effective.

Cheers

James

I would not assume it is the flash tube. That's pretty reliable. What usually fails is one of the several power semiconductors that control the duration of the flash. Far more likely to be one of those. The ready light blinks whenever a trigger signal is sent, and it has nothing to do with the actual flash discharge, other than causing the first in a series of events that is the flash. To be sure, I would send the entire strobe to Ikelite, I think you will be chasing your tail otherwise.

i bought in December 2008 at Adorama a new DS-125, brought it to Costa Rica in hand luggage and due work reasons

i could use it first time beginning of May. Guess what? It did not fire...

I had to ship it back to Ikelite, they repaired it under warranty and shipped it back to Miami on their expenses , where i had to ship it back to Roatan where is was for some weeks. If i had shipped it back to Costa Rica for shure i would had to hassle around with the customs officials and 95% to pay again import duties for it.

Long Story, short end, after various emails they said that the strobe tube was not functional and i spent about 300$ in shipping

costs for a brand new strobe.

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer

Postage is a real barrier to trade between the US and Australia. Australia Post is up there with UPS for cost.

The SS200 is a big heavy beast, and even without a battery will be uneconomical to ship to the US from Australia. It looks like i'm just going to write this strobe off. It works as a light still. so i might just have to use it as a spare light for night dives.

Asian Manuacturers of UW are probably the best options for Australian buyers for service and support reasons. Postage to Asia is dirt cheap.

Can you partially disassemble it to remove as much weight as possible?

If you get it to Ike, post a note on this board for any one going to Aus that could put it in their baggage for you and ship it once in Aus.

Just wondering out loud!

Sponsors

Advertisements