dave-o

Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM--subal

Hi everyone,

I have a Canon 5D and a Subal CD5 and am shopping for a macro lens. It's an obvious choice to go with the 100mm macro and it seems like everyone has the 100mm f/2.8. Is anyone using the "L" series 100mm? Can it be easily housed?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I have a Canon 5D and a Subal CD5 and am shopping for a macro lens. It's an obvious choice to go with the 100mm macro and it seems like everyone has the 100mm f/2.8. Is anyone using the "L" series 100mm? Can it be easily housed?

Thanks

I'm using the 100mm L IS USM Mk2 with a 5D Mk2 in Subal CD5 II. Its easily housed with the Subal flat port for this lens on this housing, I'm guessing not much will have changed between the 5D Mk1 and Mk2 so it should be the same but checkout the Subal ports listed for the CD5 housing with this lens to be safe.

It's a lovely lens but I've not used it extensively yet and have no experience of the Mk1 version.

Edited by GoinDown

I've used the old 100mm for many years - it was my mainstay macro lens (as it has been for many others). I recently got the new 100mm IS L , and had a chance to use it on a Cayman trip a few weeks ago. I am very impressed with the sharpness, and it seems to AF faster than the old one, even in lower light conditions. As for housing it, the barrel diameter is almost identical to the old lens, and the length is actually 1/10" shorter, so I didn't have any problem using the same port/extension ring combination as the old lens. Granted, I'm using it with Aquatica and Seacam housings, so you do need to double-check with Subal, but it certainly shouldn't be a problem as far as housing and port being same as for the old 100mm....especially if you're only using AF. The tricky thing is whether the same MF gear will work with it, as the MF rubber grip ring on the new lens is slightly different.

Sponsors

Advertisements