Sign in to follow this  
TAC

Boyancy Problem with Aquatica D300 Housing with Ike 160 Strobes

Greetings,

I was finally able to try my D300 with Aquatica housing and dual Ike DS160 strobes in a pool today. With the 8" dome and Tokina 10-17 the balance was pretty good. (close to nuetral boyancy) However, with the macro port and Nikon 105 VR lens the rig was very negative, making it difficult to remain horizontal. I could not easily frame subjects due to being pulled downward by the weight of the housing. I suspect this is due to the heavy weight of the 105 VR lens and the lower air volume in the macro port.

I need some kind of device (such as special strobe arms) to add boyancy to the rig with the macro set up. Please provide the solution that may have worked best for you. (I currently have TLC arms) Aquatica advertizes a device that screws into the top of the housing but I need that for my focus light.

Thanks

Tom

I have the same issue with my S&S and Nauticam housings when I have the 100mm Canon on. Like Dan I use a Stix collar and floats on the arms. They makes a world of difference.

Good luck with the new rig,

Steve

I use the Ultralight buoyancy arms but the Stix floats work well too.

I wish I'd patented that collar idea :-)

I'm new to dslr underwater shooting. I have zero experience until I get my new Aquatica AD90 wet. I have no answers but a question to add to the mix.

The properties of salt and fresh water are dramatic on the displacement of, say, a body but what about camera housings? Can you prep your rig(s) in a pool and have them bouyant/neutral in the ocean?

Thanks for all of your suggestions - I ordered the Stix collar and floats.

I'm new to dslr underwater shooting. I have zero experience until I get my new Aquatica AD90 wet. I have no answers but a question to add to the mix.

The properties of salt and fresh water are dramatic on the displacement of, say, a body but what about camera housings? Can you prep your rig(s) in a pool and have them bouyant/neutral in the ocean?

If I remember correctly the ocean weighs about 2.5% more than fresh water for the same volume. (1025 kg/m3 vrs 1000kg/m3) So if you’re neutral housing displaces about a third of a cubic foot that would be around 21 lbs.(9.5 kg). A cubic foot of fresh water weighs 62.4 lbs (28.3 kg)

2.5 percent of 21 lbs. is about half a pound. So, weigh your housing in your fresh water pool and adjust floats etc. until you see about a half a pound on your scale. It will be close to neutral in the ocean.

Make sense?

Steve

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements