Sign in to follow this  
scubae

software for editing

I'm sure this has been brought up before but here goes.

What editing software do you all use?

I will be shooting RAW with my D90 and using windows/PC.

Thanks in advance,

E

Hi E,

It of course varies with what we have experience with and our image goals. I'm a big fan of Lightroom.

Cheers,

Steve

Another vote for Lightroom.

They have a free trial available download it and give it a try!

If you do a quick search on these forums, there is a load of info available too.

Adam

Ummm... is there anything else besides Lightroom? :)

Cheers

Karel

Thanks in advance,

E

Of course there are other options, but Lightroom is pretty cool. What you should do is go to Adobe and download trial versions of lightroom, photoshop CS5 and Photoshop elements. Play with them all for 30 days and see which one you like the best. The reason that most folks are immediately saying LR is that photoshop has generally moved away from a photography program towards a graphic design program that can be used to edit photos while LR was designed for the way that photographers think. If budget is an issue you might look at paintshop pro or Picasa (can't beat the price) once you get the raw pics into the computer. A lot will also depend on what you want to do with your pics. For general touch up, resizing etc, Paintshop pro will be fine and is only $70 or so compared to lots more for either LR or Photoshop CS5. Elements might also be all you need, and many folks like it a lot, I never got the hang of it.

In any case go to Adobe.com and Corel.com, download the trials and see what you like.

Bill

I'll throw my vote to Aperture if you live in Mac World. I haven't upgraded to 3.03, but version 2's been pretty good for managing the files and very good for the vast majority of my editing needs.

Phil

Thanks for the replies.

At the moment we have PS Elements 5.0. From what I've read it seems that we gain alot of cataloging with Lightroom but lose layers.

Does Lightroom allow for color cast adjustments (fixing white balance) and RAW format downloading/editing? WIll Lightroom interact with PS 5.0?

Thanks again,

E

From what I've read it seems that we gain alot of cataloging with Lightroom but lose layers.

Does Lightroom allow for color cast adjustments (fixing white balance) and RAW format downloading/editing? WIll Lightroom interact with PS 5.0?

Lightroom does the adjustments without needing layers, and it's non destructive so you always have your original to go back to. If you want to add something to your image like a diver that isn't in your original or combine multiple images to create a piece of art, you'll still need Photoshop. For 95% of the image processing I do LR is orders of magnitude faster then PS. They use the same processing algorithms and the same RAW conversion engine. It's important to remember that the full name is Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. They are made to work together. Here is the best place to look for Lightroom particulars.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/about/

Recommend you download a copy to play with and/or watch the videos on this page to get the hang of it.

http://tv.adobe.com/product/lightroom/

Have fun!

Steve

It's also worth checking out picasa. The free photo cataloging and adjustment software put out be google.

Like lightroom, it is non-destructive. It also handles raw.

Picasa has brilliant, nearly fully automatic adjustment functions, including simple batch adjustments to an entire group of photos. Built in face recognition and labeling.

It can also call out to another photo editor, for greater or finer adjustments.

Definitely worth checking out!

Don

Thanks in advance,

E

I would think the easy choice is Capture NX2 - it's Nikons own and works very well with the NEF format. One nice thing is the ability to have multiple versions of an edit in a single file. Others do as well but I do not know how they handle NEF so I cannot speak about them. I have have had a lot of luck with the Nikon software. There are some very good options which make it easy for digital workflow.

Take a brief look here at some of the features.

http://www.capturenx.com/en/lessons/lessons/index.html

Disclaimer: I have not used lightroom but I have used photoshop a fair bit.

I use Photoshop not Lightroom. I guess I don't think like a photographer. I tried Lightroom and it was counter intuitative. Lightroom is for people with an IQ below 120. Ehere do you fit?

I tried Lightroom and it was counter intuitative. Lightroom is for people with an IQ below 120. Ehere do you fit?

That's a particularly silly thing to say. If you don't understand Lightroom, what does that say about your intelligence? :D

I've invested about 8 years in Photoshop. I find it much more flexible than Aperture, which I rarely turn on. Because of my Photoshop fixation I can use it quite well: I find Lightroom difficult, partly because it's like Photoshop... but not quite.

You probably need an IQ over 120 to run Photoshop without slumping into mental jellyfish-hood...

... if I were starting now, I'm pretty sure that I would use Lightroom exclusively.

Tim

:D

Hi,

Here's my thoughts about it.

For a starter, I believe that we tend to stay with what we know. Just as Tim wrote in the previous post.

I have personally been using Capture NX2 up until now. I really like the U-point technology and that the Pic is just like on the Camera Display. The main issue for me is that with time you tend to get a lot of Pictures that needs to be ordered somehow in an effective manner and this is deffo not something that Capture NX2 does.

The Cataloging and searching for Photos is in my opinion one of the strong points of Lightroom. If find that it gets more an more important with the years of digital Photographing and the thousands of Pics.

I am right now trying to get my head into Lightroom & the Nik Plugins, in order to fully utilize it.

I am personally not completely sold on the Layer System of Photoshop, atleast not yet. I find it a bit awkward and slow to get results. As I see it, you need to spend considerable amount of time with Photoshop if you want to learn it. I am sure that if I get to that point, I would say that it is great as well.

/Erik

Ps! The comment about the needed intelligence for being able to use Photoshop was pretty darn silly....

I am personally not completely sold on the Layer System of Photoshop, atleast not yet. I find it a bit awkward and slow to get results.

Erik: stick with it and play with layers! One day it makes sense and suddenly you can perform the most amazing things, editing different parts of the image in different ways. If you are after perfect prints this is really useful. If you're interested in competition photography, however, then it's a bit pointless, as it's usually banned...

Tim

:D

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements