TAC

Viewfinder Display on Aquatica D300 Housing

In testing my Aquatica D300 housing in a pool I am having difficulty viewing the entire frame within the viewfinder. It seems that I can only see about 70% of the image at one time. Is this normal? (the Aquatica AD300 manual indicates that I should have "full view the illuminated camera viewfinder." With my old F100 Aquatica film housing I was able to see the entire frame. With the D300 this makes it very difficult to frame a subject properly. Please let me know what your experience with the Aquatica D300 housing is. Note that I am using a low volume mask and pressing it up against the housing as much as possible.

Is there a solution to this, without spending $1300 for the Aquaview Finder?

If you are using an Aquaview finder please let me know what your experience is with this - is it worth the cost?

Thanks!

Tom

I think the problem may be that your eye is too far from the viewfinder. You might try a low volume mask.

Edited by blibecap

If you are using an Aquaview finder please let me know what your experience is with this - is it worth the cost?

I used a Fuji S2Pro Aquatica housing for 8 years, and always struggled to see all of the viewfinder. I recently switched to a D90 housing and bought the Aquaview. It is absolutely INCREDIBLE. I can see the entire viewfinder image including the exposure info LCD with my mask up to an inch away from the viewfinder. Also, the image is much brighter. IMHO it is absolutely worth the cost.

Bruce Dickson

Ditto what Bruce says - I purchased the aqua view and its just the duck's guts - very worth the investment

Can someone please post a picture of the viewfinder view compared to the standard viewfinder view?

Can someone please post a picture of the viewfinder view compared to the standard viewfinder view?

Not sure I can photograph the viewfinder view, but as a comparison, the regular viewfinder is like looking at a scene through a keyhole. The Aquaview is like looking at the same scene though a window.

Bruce Dickson

"Is there a solution to this, without spending $1300 for the Aquaview Finder? "

Here's my take on this, I consider my http://www.aquatica.ca/subpages/catalog/ho...s/aquaview.html same as any other high quality lens and subsequently pack it accordingly in my carry-on with my other lenses, camera body, laptop, etc.

I wouldn't use an SLR in an underwater housing without a viewfinder. I consider it mandatory equipment, regardless of manufacturer of the viewfinder, IMHO... I'd schedule it in your budget along with your other underwater lenses.

Thanks for everyone's opinion. Looks like I need to buy the finder. I guess it really doesn't make sense spending thousands on the other equipment and trips to struggle in composing images.

Thanks for everyone's opinion. Looks like I need to buy the finder. I guess it really doesn't make sense spending thousands on the other equipment and trips to struggle in composing images.

Welcome to U/W photography.

Just slightly less demanding on your wallet than owning a boat!

Sponsors

Advertisements