CountrysideGirl

Where in the world would you go?

Hi Everyone!!

We are planning our next trip, February 2011 and are looking for ideas on where in the world to go. My dive buddy got certified in Bonaire two years ago and has about 50 shore dives under her belt. She is a good diver but neither of us would fall into the "expert" category. I have about 100 dives- also mostly in Bonaire. The diving is very easy there. We are good divers but definitely like warm water and great vis. Who doesn't, right?

I guess it goes without saying on this forum, that I also love UW photography! I've mostly shot macro in Bonaire but am open to more wide angle eperiences.

We are pretty low maintenance and do not require a Hilton to be comfortable- although running water is always appreciated!

We have been spoiled by the freedom of shore diving in Bonaire and are hoping to find another place where we can do at least "some" shore diving. It sure is nice not having to follow dive boat schedule.

So, there is it! Where should we go? Where have you been that you've loved? Thanks for all your ideas!

LEMBEH Strait - Indonesia would be my advice. Probably the most relaxed diving you can do. With the most amazing photo opportunities.

Be warned though it is very adictive. Do some searches on here and you will find loads of info.

Stew

lots of shore diving, depending on the resort.

Well...

... Lembeh is indeed fascinating, weird, addictive, easy to dive and all that, but...

... it's not noted for great vis. (ie the vis. can be pretty poor), and the bottom is flat, black sand and mud. It's not a coral paradise, it's a critter paradise!

I can't think of anywhere in the world where the shore diving is as easy or untrammelled as it is in Bonaire. To get what you want, diving-wise, you may have to join a boat, but your options then shrink to diving and sunbathing (not too shabby, I would say)!

For clear water and lots of photographic subjects you could try the Maldives: some of the resorts encourage unguided shore diving for experienced divers, and some of the boat dives are really good. The best, though, is on a live-aboard dive boat.

If money isn't a big problem, you might try the Phillipines (Dumaguete in the Visayas, I've heard about. It is, though, the one recommendation that I haven't visited) or Raja Ampat: the Misool Eco-Resort is much more obviously tropical than Lembeh, if not (quite) as peculiarly fascinating.

Tim

:)

Edited by tdpriest

If you want shore diving and macro photography, then Tulamben, Bali is where to go. The macro at Lembeh is a bit better but you will not go wrong with either.

As mentioned be warned, it is addictive.

Elmer

Thanks for the great suggestions! How is Bali in February? I have heard that November is the best time to go and that February has poorer vis. True? When did you do?

Sponsors

Advertisements