Sign in to follow this  
Marcelo Krause

two crustaceans from Brazil

Hi,

I am having difficulties finding the ID of two shrimps I photographed on Arvoredo Island on the south of Brazil.

One was suggested to be a Stenopus scutellatus, but since I don’t see the bands I saw on other individuals, I don’t know if this is a color variation or not.

arvoredo_13.jpg

arvoredo_11.jpg

Here is the link for the complete post:

Link

Thanks

Marcelo Krause

www.marcelokrause.com

Hi Marcello,

although the distribution doesn't seem to match the 2nd shrimp looks closer to Stenopus spinosus?

As for the 1st one I concentrated my search amongst the Marble Shrimps, Saron species, but failed to find a match

in my references

HTH

Cheers,

Jim :)

Thanks Jim. Yes the second one really seems to be the Stenopus spinosus, I think you nailed it!!

Thanks

Marcelo

Hi Marcelo --

Sammy De Grave sent me some id comments about your shrimp. The first one is a Sicyonia. They're common sand-dwellers, often found in huge numbers, and the large ones are very very tasty (that's my personal observation :notworthy: ). Second could be either Stenopus spinosus with really big range extension or a recently found undescribed one which has the same coloration as spinosus. No way to know without a specimen in hand.

Cheers, Leslie

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements