Sign in to follow this  
maczek

Ikelite - strange "knocking" sound

Hi!

I've recently bought Ikelite for 5D Mark II with 8" dome port. All seem to be fine except one thing that scares me...

When I use the housing in a pool or a lake I hear strange sound coming from the housing. It sounds like knocking or crashing and is quite loud.

I checked the housing for possible leaks or bubbles and didn't find anything.

Did anyone of you experience such issue? Is there anything to worry about?

Thanks,

maczek

I've experienced this with Ikelites before. I think it's the back plate being compressed onto the main body, the o-ring being squashed, at least that's what it sounds like, I have been reassured that it won't fail and is quite common with the Ikes. If you are in doubt talk to Ikelite.

Cheers

Richard

I've experienced this with Ikelites before. I think it's the back plate being compressed onto the main body, the o-ring being squashed, at least that's what it sounds like, I have been reassured that it won't fail and is quite common with the Ikes. If you are in doubt talk to Ikelite.

Cheers

Richard

I agree that it's the backplate moving or flexing and i had no issues on my D90 housing.

Chris

I have had this happen about 2-3 times in 400+ dives with my Ikelite housings. The first time it happened it startled the cr@p out of me! It sounds like a gun shot. There was never any problem at all, and it does not seem to be all that common in my experience.

Cheers

Richard

????? I have used many and various forms of Ikelite housings from 70's to present and I have never experienced or heard of this. I have had old Oceanic housings where the back would warp/shift at great depth so the controls did not align/work, but I never heard any sound when it did so. Tooling and close tolerances are so much better with modern housings.

You sure it is not your strobe instead? I have had weird knocking-type noises from my (now-vintage) Ikelite strobes before and had them serviced for that back then.

Contact Ikelite and see what they say. I'm curious what would cause this sudden release of pressure differential.

Bo

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements