madasamonkey

Home Servicing a Canon WP-DC31?

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to diving having only started last September, though quickly realising my then-cam was pants I scouted around and plumped for the Canon Ixus 100 IS. I don't have an unlimited budget and they seemed to get pretty good reviews.

I picked up a secondhand WP-DC31. It's 18 months old and I'm assured it worked for the guy who sold it to me down to a depth of 40m (though I think it's only meant to go to 30?!). Its a bit mucky but the o-ring looks in good shape and having tested it (only in the sink so far, admittedly) I'm getting no bubbles. It was only £50 so I thought it was a bargain. However, realising it's now due for a service, I got a quote, and was a bit downhearted to find the service alone would be £80 (should have found this out before, I know).

So now I'm left with a bit of a quandry as I can pick up a new one for £145. I'm weighing up whether to sell it on and go with that option (there certainly seemed plenty of interest), or have a go at servicing it myself. I can pick up a refurbed Ixus 100 for £90, so I don't feel the servicing would be cost effective. However, I have no instruction manual.

Has anyone out there serviced a WP-DC31 themselves? Is it just a case of getting to the little o-rings in the buttons and lubricating them or is there more involved? How do you get to the little o-rings in the buttons to lubricate them, exactly? Inside there are little black stoppers and I'm not sure how to remove them.

Testing will be an issue. My next dive trip isn't until September. I do live beside the sea, but the diving's too cold for me here. I was considering weighting it and lowering it down to test, maybe in a crab net? Or is that nuts? Should I just go with option A and resell? What do you guys think?

I'd be grateful for your opinions. Please try to speak slowly. I am a bit blonde.

I have been told by various vendors that they are essentially unserviceable due to the cost relative to a new one. Between my dive buddy and myself we have gone through a couple of the Canon housings, but never tried to service any of them. I have to take another good look at the two I have right now, but if my memory serves me right, there is no way to easily remove the buttons. And even if you could, all O-rings deform over time to fit the place they are in (little groves and non-uniformities in the metal shafts etc). Which means that it is best to discard the rings and replace them since you would have to insert them exactly the way they were in (i.e. impossible).

For my 2cts worth, I would pick up the used camera and have fun with the setup you have right now. Get some O-ring grease for the main O-ring if you don't have any and you might want to replace the main O-Ring (costs about $16). Make sure you get the right grease for Canon housings. Go to a photo shop and look for the grease under accessories for any of the Canon housings.

Lastly, if you have a friend who dives the waters around you, ask them to take the housing for a dive. It is small enough to fit in a BC pocket. When at depth, have them push all the buttons. Alternatively, one of the dive shops where I live has a small pressure chamber to test depth gauges (it's a water filled vessel that is pressurized by air). If you have something like that nearby, ask them if they would do a pressure test on your housing. I am sure they would even do it for free.

I've been told by a Sea & Sea sales rep that all factory molded housings (Oly, Canon, Sony, etc) come from the same source. This would indicate that common controls (like push buttons) & matching o-rings would be the same on all these housings. Each model housing may also have a few o-ring sizes that are just for a given housing. On the chance that it may be of some help, here are sizes & sources for an Oly PT-015 (Oly 5050) housing. This list might cover at least the button o-rings.

PT-015 O-Ring Sizes

Here's a URL to the thread that contains all the information on the c5050 orings:

http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.p...y;threadid=5433

Japanese JIS 2401 "P" series is the Standard for sizes P3 & P5, you'll find the standard here: http://mdmetric.com/or/jispgb.htm

All o-rings BUNA 70 (aka nitrile)

buttons:

seventeen o-rings, order number OR-2.8X1.9 from Maryland Metrics ( $3.94 per 100)

(aka Japanese Standard Size P3) http://mdmetric.com/

on/off & mode dial control:

one o-ring, order number OR-4.8X1.9 from Maryland Metrics ( $3.94 per 100)

(aka Japanese Standard Size P5)

one o-ring, Precision Associates custom o-ring 0.053 x 0.074 (unknown cost)

http://www.precisionassoc.com/customf.htm (1-800-394-6590)

Edited by jcclink

I serviced my olympus pt-010 a few years ago.

It worked out fine and definitely made it work better. The buttons were getting a little sticky and I took all of them apart. Cleaned things up and put a little silicon grease on the orings.

There was a website with very detailed instructions on the pt-010, but it doesn't look like it's around any more.

Sponsors

Advertisements