Sign in to follow this  
Bud Barr

Dominica worm-larvae-egg casing?

At 25 feet, sand, turtle grass:

Approx. 5 inches long, couldn't distinguish one end from the other.

4792975117_afddc89601.jpg

This was somewhat of a strange encounter. There was a small eel that seemed to be in a hurry to bury itself in the sand (tail first), when I swam over to take a closer look, this thing was right where the eel disappeared. I thought maybe the eel disrupted or dislodged it. It very quickly burrowed under the sand itself.

Thanks, Bud

I am no expert, but this looks like some type of sea-cucumber to me...

Anythings possible but it didn't seem to have the right "texture". At least not like the sea cucumbers I'm familiar with.

Thanks for the reply Luiz.

Bud

Matt,

Did you take a look at my last reply on the post titled Dominica Unknown "Slug"

After looking at the link provided by Leslie, I'm pretty sure the picture I posted there is the spoon worm. It was certainly in closer proximity to the proboscis and has more of a "spoon worm physique"..

Bud

I'm not sure about this one. To use the classic taxonomist's reply, I need to see a specimen. It could be an echiuroid but probably not. It could be a sipunc but not Sipunculus. It might be a sea cucumber but there are too many muscle bands. It might be a burrowing anemone. Hmmmm... the gut coils look more like a Sipuncula. So I'll stick with that until someone corrects me & then I'll swear that's really what I was thinking..... ;-D

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements