Sign in to follow this  
DiverPam

Critter or not

Hey guys - I do not know what this is. It looks like it might be a critter - not sure. I think I see what might be taken for an eye. I have posted two pics - one cropped to just what I am asking about and one in the larger sceme of things.

This was taken in Palau. As you can see - it is a small whatever. Is it a critter, reef creature or coral. I am just not figuring it out.

I appreciate you help - DiverPam

post-25529-1279240857.jpg

post-25529-1279240869.jpg

It's a critter but probably not what you thought. It's a snail with the fleshy mantle drawn up over the body so that the shell is completely hidden. If you've got a lot of free time & really want to know what kind you'll need to go to a site like the Poppe's Marine Icongraphy of the Philippines (www.poppe-images.com) or nudipixel.net & go through their mollusc sections. I'd start with the cowries (family Cypraceae). You'll see some outstanding images of live snails & maybe even find the species. :)

Thanks for the direction. After looking through about 50 pages on those sites - I coud not find exactly which one - so I settled for cowrie (Cypraea).

I will bookmark those sites for future use.

Thanks - DiverPam

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements