Alex_Mustard

Wetpixel/JASA Sharks & Dolphins July 2010

A big thanks to Alex for letting me use his Canon S90 housing, INON lens, and external Magic Filter. BTW, I ordered a housing, INON mount and lens. You can definitely count me in for the new external Magic Filter when they become available. Here's a picture of Alex hamming it and a couple other pics from this newbie photographer... :)

952148516_nyBgX-M.jpg

952148539_6AEx5-M.jpg

952148523_pKyLi-M.jpg

Edited by Minkers

Here's a picture of Alex hamming it

Nice Minky! The key to good underwater photos is excellent subject matter. I am amazed you got such a clean picture in the almost darkness. I also forgot I was shooting single strobe on that dive!

Alex

If you ever suddenly turn around a tiger beach and find a tiger shark right next to you - you really need to be looking around a lot, lot more. You don't just endanger yourself, but the whole group.

Well, that was me, at first. It isn't easy, and I've been diving with sharks before: this is a whole new level. I'm not happy with "inexcusable", though: you have to learn, and I would very much like to thank Shear Water's crew for minding my back (yes, I had a Tiger sneaking up behind me moment) whilst I was learning.

Although I wanted to meet Jim, perhaps I was lucky not to...

... and whilst Minky shows excellent subject selection in the shark and minnow departments, she picks some weird human subjects!

Tim

:)

Edited by tdpriest

BTW - did anyone find my short Firewire 800 cable - I used it all trip for downloading my pictures and then lost in while packing.

Alex

I have been on numerous Shearwater trips and consider Jim a friend.

I have seen him verbally correct a diver after a dive and I thank him for it. One of the last trips I was on had a diver that was less attentive and as a result put me at risk a number of times. The Tigers, without a doubt can sneak up on you, and thus the requirement to constantly be aware. In many cases, as Alex noted, all you need to do is make eye contact and they abort their inquisitive approach. That said if someone is not working with the team in the water it can become a less enjoyable experience. You then start to loose focus on your shooting and start to worry more about the guy not pointing and, the sharks he is not pointing out to you.

I would chalk it up to Jimmy cares about his guests safety and demands the same from all that join him, and I thank him for that.

Cheers

Todd

".................trips I was on had a diver that was less attentive and as a result put me at risk a number of times. The Tigers, without a doubt can sneak up on you and thus the requirement to constantly be aware. In many cases, as Alex noted, all you need to do is make eye contact and they abort their inquisitive approach. ....................."

Todd

Has anybody ever tried using those "neoprene mask-band keepers" and painted or glued faux eyes on them? That way everybody can have eyes on back of their heads and make those tigers think "I have my eye on you!!!". In nature many animals use this method to deter attack. Just thinking. Maybe a standard equipment issue on any shark dive trip????.... :)

Bo

Has anybody ever tried using those "neoprene mask-band keepers" and painted or glued faux eyes on them? That way everybody can have eyes on back of their heads and make those tigers think "I have my eye on you!!!". In nature many animals use this method to deter attack. Just thinking. Maybe a standard equipment issue on any shark dive trip????.... :)

Bo

How about these??......

post-22909-1280529360.jpg

How about these??......

Good one! :) need to say "Tigers may appear closer than actual"

Now back to the great trip report. Awsome stuff and making me jealous.

Bo

How about these??......

The mistake a lot of people use with mirrors is to use flat ones - which give a very limited rear view. They need to be domed mirrors. They certainly work well for spotting photo ops coming your way. One of the other benefits of diving with mirrors (in addition to increasing your peripheral vision) is for check kit issues (BC straps etc). These days I use velcro to attach them to my buoyancy floats on my strobe arms.

I think some people have tried fake eye spots on JASA trips, but I am not aware of them working. I think body language is equally important - as our eyes aren't actually that easy to see behind a mask.

Alex

Finally finished my dolphin/shark gallery from the trip.

http://www.bluereefphoto.org/p689195285.

Again, the experience was unique and unforgettable.

I like Jim's trips because my edited images always somehow turn out to be different than previous trips, despite mostly working with the same subjects in the same area.

Enjoy the photos.

Frank

Fantastic Frank! Your dolphin photos are just phenomenal. The sharks are pretty tasty too.

My main computer is still broken so mine are a bit delayed.

Alex

Hi Frank, I really like the shots which were taken on the reef. Some really nice composition on them. Did you release the trapped fish from the traps?

Cheers for showing

Stew

Edited by stewsmith

Again, the experience was unique and unforgettable.

I like Jim's trips because my edited images always somehow turn out to be different than previous trips, despite mostly working with the same subjects in the same area.

Enjoy the photos.

Frank

Wonderful pictures!!!! :)

Frank: I agree those dolphin pics are superb!!! I know how hard they are to get. Good stuff!

James

Frank -- the Bahamian dolphins sure do seem easier to get to than the ones in your backyard, eh? :)

You got some fabulous dolphin shots, Frank! Well done!!!

Thanks for all the :) feedback!

Bahamian dolphins are definitely easier to get close to than the spinners here in Hawaii.

Still hard to get head on though.

I was huffin’ and puffin’ just to keep up when they were barely moving their tail.

Really fun to photograph.

And yes, the trapped fish are enjoying their freedom again.

Cheers,

Frank

Good looking collection there Frank. Thanks for posting!

Thanks, Frank!

I'm not sure if I'm most impressed by your beautiful images, or by the speed with which you've posted your gallery...

... I've processed about 1/6 of my "keepers", and anticipate at least another week until I can post my version of the trip (despite the sneaky way I got in with a handful of images whilst everyone else was travelling home)!

Thank-you for sharing, and for a great trip.

Tim

Thanks, Frank!

I'm not sure if I'm most impressed by your beautiful images, or by the speed with which you've posted your gallery...

Tim :)

I have mine downloaded from the laptop already... :)

Very impressive collection, Tim.

Especially your shot from Blue Heron Bridge - considering you were snorkelling!

I think this is my favourite:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timsdiving/48...57624702074462/

Although there is some stiff competition from some of the dolphin group shots.

Apologies for being in so many of your dolphin shots - although my form is pretty decent in most!

Alex

p.s. You owe me an email, as I owe you money!

Nicel work Tim! I couldn't pick out a favorite so I just enjoyed the slideshow a few times. Looks like you had a great time.

Congrats,

Steve

Nice shots Tim!

I really like TB25, TB63, HT 86, HT116, HT127, HT136, D 244, D247 and D272 as well as your blue heron bridge arrow crab shot.

Alex's inadvertent modeling is quite stylish. He's even somewhat color matched. Maybe we'll get him some more impressionable colors next time around.

Thanks for posting.

Frank

Sponsors

Advertisements