Rajesh

Traveling with a pony tank

Hi, I bought an aluminiun 1,5l tank for "pony" purposes and... I would like to check in in the flights.

Any advice about it? Is only 2,5kg of weight and 28cmx11cm.

Thanks in advance

I used to travel with a small pony bottle. At the time ( the rules on air tanks may have changed post 9/11 ) the rule in the US was that tanks are permitted both checked and caryon(if they are not to large) but MUST have the valve removed.

But that was in the US. You'll need to check the regulations for your country and all the countries you travel to/through.

I always travel with a spare air.

I remove the valve and throw it in with my gear. I have never been asked about it.

I have traveled with a 6 CF pony. Same deal. Just remove the valve. You will get asked about though and it can be problematic. Some airline people just don't have a clue and think it is somehow dangerous.

I always travel with a spare air.

I remove the valve and throw it in with my gear. I have never been asked about it.

I have traveled with a 6 CF pony. Same deal. Just remove the valve. You will get asked about though and it can be problematic. Some airline people just don't have a clue and think it is somehow dangerous.

Is removing and reinserting the valve trivial or could one do it wrong? I guess that could lead to pretty dangerous situations if the valve comes of when the tank is under pressure.

Removing the valve from an empty tank should not be difficult. If the tank hasn't be serviced in years and the valve has "welded" itself to the tank then it can be very difficult.

If the tank had air in it you can not remove it. For the same reason you can not remove a regulator from a tank if the valve is open.

I always put it in a checked bag. I remove valve and put rubber bands around the tank, attached to which I have a small flashlight, and a slip of paper (held on by the rubber bands) that says, "Dear TSA - Tank is empty - use flashlight to look inside." I've never had a problem, although I have been called out of the waiting area several times in lesser-developed countries to identify/explain it.

Removing the valve from an empty tank should not be difficult. If the tank hasn't be serviced in years and the valve has "welded" itself to the tank then it can be very difficult.

If the tank had air in it you can not remove it. For the same reason you can not remove a regulator from a tank if the valve is open.

Actually I was more concerned with reinserting the valve again. This is where there potentially could be a problem (leaking air or worse) when the pony is filled again.

Regards

Bent

Actually I was more concerned with reinserting the valve again. This is where there potentially could be a problem (leaking air or worse) when the pony is filled again.

Nope - it's easy - just screw it in and give it a couple of taps against something hard (a boat railing, etc.) to tighten it, and you're good to go. As long as the o-ring where the threads screw into the tank is good, you should have no problem whatsoever.

I had friends who took pony bottles with them on a trip to the Philippines, they flew Cathay. Their bags were screened in HK and they were asked to remove the bottles (empty, valves removed) as the pilot was not willing to have them on board. However, their in-laws had the same tanks and weren't screened...on the same flight!

Stu

Thanks friends for you help and effort.

Finally, I asked to the airline:

Thank you for contacting egyptair and our station call center team.we will be glade if we can help you .regarding to your inquiry,

kindly be informed that

SCUBA Equipment (Aqua Lung Cylinders)

(medium)

It is the sport of swimming under water while using the SCUBA (Self Contained Underward breathing Apparatus)

carrying a source of breathing Gas (usually compressed Air)

* Cylinders for under water sporting purposes may be accepted as checked BAGGAGE

provided they conform with the requirements set out below.

* These cylinders are normally manufactured under government licence and regulations stipulate that they should be tested every

four years.

They must not be accepted for carriage unless they bear the following information stamped on the neck:

(a)

Manufacturer Initials.

(b)

Testing Date (valid up to 4 years).

©

Tested Pressure in LBS. per Sq. Inch.

(d)

Working Pressure in LBS. per Sq. Inch.

1- The cylinders must be stowed in the cargo holds and must not be accessible to passengers during flight.

. thank you once again for your e-mail .if you need any further assistance, please don`t hesitate to contact us.

Ayman Muhammed

Traffic Officer ,Call Center

Customer Service Dep

EgyptAir Airlines Company

Sponsors

Advertisements