loftus

D90 replacement rumors

Yeah, there are posts about it in DPReview and some French forums too, very interesting as I am waiting for the announcements to try to get something smaller for me (my D2x is getting heavier with my age! :P ).

if the camera can fit to D90 housing will be great.........

if the camera can fit to D90 housing will be great.........

I love an optimist!

Experience teached me to be a pessimist, so i will be much more happy if my pessimism is wrong...

It would be toooo nice if she fits the D90 housing, but would it be worth another (hypothetic) 800-1200$

only for the body? Maybe a dedicated video camera will do the trick better.

Chris

This was suggested several months ago, so I bought a second D90 camera body before my last dive trip in June. After spending all the money on housing, ports, etc. - I figured that a second camera body while available was cheaper on my pocket book. Very glad I did b/c my shutter button boroke off on my primary body and I had to use the new backup body. I know of several folks who waited until their camera body went out of production and finding a second body took some effort and looking around.

I really like the D90 - so upgrades to this model would probably make me envious, but...$$$ get in the way.

DiverPam

Pam,

The same happened to me so I bought a second D90 body.

In order to protect my shutter button that I broke twice, I am now putting a round patch of heavy rubber scotch on the button.

The body stays in my housing... Funny enough, the shutter button is now broken, but it works fine with this patch.

Damien

Pam,

The same happened to me so I bought a second D90 body.

In order to protect my shutter button that I broke twice, I am now putting a round patch of heavy rubber scotch on the button.

The body stays in my housing... Funny enough, the shutter button is now broken, but it works fine with this patch.

Damien

Damien - Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one. Mine was still under warranty so Nikon fixed it, but I am worried about it happening again (and the warranty runs out in a month). Can you put a picture up showing what you did? I would like to be able to do the same if needed.

Interesting, I noticed that we both have the same housing and setup. Wonder if this has to do with the housing or the camera body (shutter button)?

Thanks - DiverPam

Edited by DiverPam

I broke 2 shutter button, and I know another diver using a D90 and an Aquatica housing who had the same problem (Girelle).

My D90 is no longer under warranty, but my trick works.

The shutter button is made in a very poor plastic quality.

The problem comes from the trigger always pushing the exact same part of the button...

I explained my case to Aquatica and they provided me with a new trigger that I still have to implement to my housing.

send me a message with your email address on flickr and I'll doit.

Damien

We have the exact same rig !!!!

The speculation that I really like is "same noise performance like the D700!" that would be nice indeed.

Pam and Damien was the shutter button issue one of 'wearing out' the button till it would no longer function?

Damien does your fix effect the feel of the 1/2 press?

Cheers,

Jim.

So, are they going to call it the D100 MkII? :P

The speculation that I really like is "same noise performance like the D700!" that would be nice indeed.

Pam and Damien was the shutter button issue one of 'wearing out' the button till it would no longer function?

Cheers,

Jim.

Jim - I have only had mine since last August. I would think that it would not have "worn out" in that time frame. I have had it on three dive trips (using every day for 1-2 weeks at a time on trips). I just read Damien's post and will be interested to see what the fic is.

DiverPam

Just sent in a check to get the Subal D300s back for my Subal D300 housing.

This means that Nikon will announce the D400. It will be a great camera and just barely not fit in a Subal D300 housing.

Just sent in a check to get the Subal D300s back for my Subal D300 housing.

This means that Nikon will announce the D400. It will be a great camera and just barely not fit in a Subal D300 housing.

Thank you for doing so! I was waiting for the D400 and now I am 100% sure it will be announced shortly! :P

If it has the same noise-levels as the D700 it will be phenomenal! I frequently use my D700 at 4000ISO.

You keep the 1/2 press effect.

Some shots...

post-23272-1279969713.jpg

post-23272-1279969727.jpg

I experienced the same problem with the shutter button of my D90. Nikon offered no warranty and billed me 231 euro for replacement.

I bought a second body, but I have already scratches on my new button. I also place some ducktape on the button to protect it? May be Aquatica can offer protection for the shutter button? Looks to me that only Aquatica users have the problems with broken shutter buttons ?

Damein- Can you share what the fix was from Aquatica with the group? Jean, are you on here? Do you have any more information on how to help the group with this issue? Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Is there anyone else who has had this problem.

DiverPam

Hi Pam, strangely enough after over 20 years of using the same trigger lever design on our housing we started seing this issue with the D90 and not on any other Nikon cameras, I know that its not exclusive to our housing, but be it as it may, we are actively working on a modification to cure that weakness on the D90 trigger button, it still need to be proof tested and if it does indeed pass the testing stage (it should) it will go into production and anybody who wants a replacement part just need to e-mail me at jean@aquatica.ca and I will be happy to send them the parts, so far the modification design only requires minor work easily done by even the most mechanically challenged individual. So again its jean@aquatica.ca

Edited by Viz'art

Is this anything similar to my problem Jean?

Is this anything similar to my problem Jean?

It looks like it could be, just to be sure I'll have a part fowarded to you too when they are ready.

Not had a problem with my D90 in a Nexus housing but also have not given it much service in the housing so far. Going to Indonesia in Oct and now you all have me nervous! But rather than take a second body, perhaps just take some duct tape...

Can anyone post a picture of the Aquatica button that is triggering the D90? Interested to see how it compares to the Nexus housing.

Not had a problem with my D90 in a Nexus housing but also have not given it much service in the housing so far. Going to Indonesia in Oct and now you all have me nervous! But rather than take a second body, perhaps just take some duct tape...

Can anyone post a picture of the Aquatica button that is triggering the D90? Interested to see how it compares to the Nexus housing.

Yo Dave,

I am assuming that my D80 and your D90 shutter button are the same. I have used my Nexus D80 rig for several years without a problem. Since the D90 is proubly out of production, it couldn't hurt to pick up a spare. I like to leave one camera in the housing set to go and another to shoot top side stuff.

Bob

Hi Pam, strangely enough after over 20 years of using the same trigger lever design on our housing we started seing this issue with the D90 and not on any other Nikon cameras, I know that its not exclusive to our housing, but be it as it may, we are actively working on a modification to cure that weakness on the D90 trigger button, it still need to be proof tested and if it does indeed pass the testing stage (it should) it will go into production and anybody who wants a replacement part just need to e-mail me at jean@aquatica.ca and I will be happy to send them the parts, so far the modification design only requires minor work easily done by even the most mechanically challenged individual. So again its jean@aquatica.ca

Jean - Thanks for the update on what is happening with this. I really do appreciate the attention at Aquatica to details like this - as well as your involvement on wetpixel with the group. And you would probably be talking about me in terms of mechanically challenged - thank goodness my husband can fix almost anything.

Bob...for right now, the D90 is still available - but for how long is anyone's guess right now. I would agree with getting a spare if you can. I found them on sale a couple of months ago (at $750.00 for the body only - no tax or shipping with that). Do not know what they are right now.

DiverPam

A spare D90 body would be a smart move by me. But then if I am spending that amount of money, I would rather spend a bit more and get an Inon 45 degree viewfinder....until my sole body goes out on a trip and would wish for the other choice.

A 'special' moment was last yr when the wife agreed to the purchase of the Nexus housing/ports, etc. She said, "Go ahead and get it so we can stop spending money on u/w photography all the time."

It was so hard not to laugh...I had to nod in silent agreement with no body language to give it away. :)

Sponsors

Advertisements