Sign in to follow this  
Bud Barr

Possible Anemone?

Dominica, 15 feet, boulders:

Never saw any tentacles, even at night, but height, shape and size did change from day to day. The mouth is clearly visible in the third picture and the blue coloration also came and went.

4792958551_0f1d7c6fc0.jpg

4812943168_8a0ff87d09.jpg

4793612888_746ff64307.jpg

Thanks, Bud

If I had to guess I would say it is some type of corallimorph, but I will wait on Leslie for that :P

Dominica, 15 feet, boulders:

Never saw any tentacles, even at night, but height, shape and size did change from day to day. The mouth is clearly visible in the third picture and the blue coloration also came and went.

Thanks, Bud

Looks like some type of fungia?

http://www.reefcorner.com/images/Fungia2.jpg

Sorry, cnidarian are really foreign territory to me - don't even want to guess. Will (Acropora) and James are both knowledgeable so hopefully one of them will drop by.

The corallimorph, Pseudocorynactis caribbeorum is my best guess. But if that is what it was, it should have had clear tentacles with orange tips out at night.

I am stumped by this one as well. I think what we are seeing is just the base of an anemone - but I'll be d***ed if I know which one it is. It might even be a regular old Condylactis anemone all closed up.

I don't think it's the orange ball corallimorph but that's hard to say too.

I have seen some deepwater anemones come up w/ recovered subsea equipment that have bases that look sort of like this one too.

Cheers

James

Thanks to all....

I'm almost certain it's not an orange ball corallimorph. This area had lots of those so we got to see them at night, and those that were not completely hidden, during the day as well. They are pretty distinctive and look nothing like this creature.

This may have to remain a mystery.

Bud

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements