Ferg42

Forty Ton Right Whale Lands on Boat

Looks like Desperate Dan has been sea fishing again :P

Dive safe

DeanB

I'm not sure it is a fake. Have you seen the photos of the yacht after the incident?- if you click on the next photos in the series in the link. If it's a fake it's a very good one. Seems plausible to me.

Another viral Internet fake.

Definately not a fake, the couple who own the boat were interviewed on BBC, very close call

I think the actual whale shot leaping out into the boat is fake, the event might have occured and it might just be that a whale did smash their boat, it just look too good to be true to be right there right then! heck I have a shot of a 35ft Northern right whale taking a swipe with its tail at our transom, all you see is a grey slab across the frame with incoming spray, no damage apart from a broken flag mast and boat hook, but a substantial adrenaline rush! wow!

the whale in the picture is a juvenile right whale, I wasn't aware they were in this neck of the wood :P might be a cue right there!

This happened right in my backyard, and it is definitely not a fake. A whale did jump on the boat, and a tourist happened to capture it in one of those incredible happenstances of chance. (Remember how many folks caught the airplane hitting the twin towers on video?) Oh, and yes we get plenty of Southern Right Whales here, it is one of their breeding grounds and juveniles are very common. The law prohibits vessels approaching closer than 300m to a whale, but sometimes the whales don't read the rules properly!

Rgds

Jean.

I have to say I was bit suspicious too in that Id have thought there would be a series of pictures rather than just the one, ie why only take it as it leaves the water instead of taking more? I guess it could have been shock or concern for the people hit and/or a very slow compact.

Otara

Jean, I did check after posting and indeed they do breed in your area, I'm more familiar with the northern Right whale population (of which we have unfortunately very few left) I have to say that whoever took the shot is one lucky SOB, hope the calf got out of that OK. Man! that's gotta be one Fruit of the Loom staining moment :)

I read this story a few days ago too and it is really remarkable. What kinda irked but is that the owners were quoted as saying: "Thank goodness the hull was made of steel and not fibreglass or we could have been ruined." Why is it that people always first think of money and material possessions? Thank goodness the whale wasn't harmed too much! That was my first thought! I really hope the whale made it and didnt die later from his injuries.

Hope right whale calves are as resiliant as young kids, even if the southern right is on the rebound, that specy needs all available individual,

:) Only wish our local northern population wasn't has decimated at it is now, barely 350 individuals left and genetic testing point to only four matrimonial line, so there is a lot off hillbillies blood running in them with all the known effect of reproducing within your cousin and siblings, I can hear deliverance sound track in the background, Whaling! another bright human stain on the planet history book :(

I read this story a few days ago too and it is really remarkable. What kinda irked but is that the owners were quoted as saying: "Thank goodness the hull was made of steel and not fibreglass or we could have been ruined." Why is it that people always first think of money and material possessions? Thank goodness the whale wasn't harmed too much! That was my first thought! I really hope the whale made it and didnt die later from his injuries.

My take on "ruined" was more along the lines of the boat might have sunk and drowned us with it, rather than it will cost a lot of money, since I assume they have insurance. Sort of like "drowning can ruin your whole day"

Bill

Sponsors

Advertisements