Aussiebyron

Byron Bay with Tokina 10-17mm

Here is a collection of shots taken recently at Julian Rocks, Byron Bay. I have recently changed housings from Ikelite to Aquatica for my Nikon D90. I am happy with the results so far.

The Shots where taken with a Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17mm (all at 10mm) in an Aquatica housing with two Ikelite Ds125 strobes. The shots havnt been edited just resized to upload onto flickr.

4818134100_a23d96ffac.jpg

"The bus"

4817759698_03f0bd5de6.jpg

4817134771_146d7bd258.jpg

4817128307_9f84f16de0.jpg

4817127111_4698cc0253.jpg

4817083357_2d8d017889.jpg

4817699652_bb3f5bc176.jpg

4815583078_6aa07ee3b7.jpg

4814957503_efe3a11e21.jpg

4815566196_8f7c81d878.jpg

wow, i was happy to see a couple wobbies in Raja a few months back... but 4 on one rock! thats awesome.

great collection. Looks like nice blue conditions, i always thought the water was more green there. Looks like it is well worth a visit

I dove 3 days at a place called South West Rocks. The diving seems similar to Byron Bay (no surprise given that SW Rocks is not far South) and can say it was 3 of the best days of diving I've had to date.

The amount of life swimming there is staggering!

Oh yea....Awesome shots!

Hi Mark,

Congratulations for your new Aquatica housing.

I have the exact same rig as you.

Great pictures. I already saw them on Flickr, but it is a great selection... I'd love to go to Julian Rock.

Damien

wow, i was happy to see a couple wobbies in Raja a few months back... but 4 on one rock! thats awesome.

great collection. Looks like nice blue conditions, i always thought the water was more green there. Looks like it is well worth a visit

Actually Mike....4 on one rock is nothing. Have a look at some of the video I took from the D90 on my Flickr. The bottom is simply covered with them. I think I have a clip with over 30 Wobbies in one spot as they have been feeding on a baitfish school for several weeks. I believe you could easierly see over 100 Wobbies on a single dive.

Dive conditions has been excellentfor the past several weeks. Actually the best conditions we have had in a row for several years. But when it cools down we will get that green water soone than later.

Regards Mark

I dove 3 days at a place called South West Rocks. The diving seems similar to Byron Bay (no surprise given that SW Rocks is not far South) and can say it was 3 of the best days of diving I've had to date.

The amount of life swimming there is staggering!

Oh yea....Awesome shots!

I have a couple of mates (Pete & Kevin) who own South West Rocks Dive Centre so I also try to get down there and dive with them a few times a year. We both agree between SWR and Byron Bay that we have a couple of the best dive sites in Australia.

SWR is very similar but they have a 120m cave which goes through their dive site and they attract alot more Grey Nurse Sharks than Byron Bay. Unfortunately their sight is open to recreational fishing which Byron Bay's Julian Rocks is a Marine sanctuary. So Julian Rocks sees more schools of table fish like Snapper and Jewfish.

Recommend to any travelling photographer to dive Byron Bay and SWR as I think they are some of the best diving I have had and very hard to beat.

Regards Mark

I have a couple of mates (Pete & Kevin) who own South West Rocks Dive Centre so I also try to get down there and dive with them a few times a year. We both agree between SWR and Byron Bay that we have a couple of the best dive sites in Australia.

SWR is very similar but they have a 120m cave which goes through their dive site and they attract alot more Grey Nurse Sharks than Byron Bay. Unfortunately their sight is open to recreational fishing which Byron Bay's Julian Rocks is a Marine sanctuary. So Julian Rocks sees more schools of table fish like Snapper and Jewfish.

Recommend to any travelling photographer to dive Byron Bay and SWR as I think they are some of the best diving I have had and very hard to beat.

Regards Mark

I have to agree Mark

Great shots with lovely lighting.. do you feel there is any quality difference as compared with the Ikelite D90 housing?

Great shots with lovely lighting.. do you feel there is any quality difference as compared with the Ikelite D90 housing?

Hi Albert,

I feel that there is a big difference between the Ikelite D90 I had and my current Aquatica D90. To sum it up the D90 slides into the housing as everything is basically matched up spot on.

The Aquatica is alot more compact and actually I think I might not have to use the big pelican 1620 to pack all my gear as when you break down the Aquatica housing the pieces you have a small and easy to pack into a smaller pelican like maybe the 1510 (biggest for carry on). I just love the handle grips of the Aquatica, even the skippers on the boat like the feel of them when I hand up my setup to them after the dive.

The controls are more precise compared to the Ikelite especially if you use the zoom ring. The Ikelite's thin plastic zoom ring can't compare with the big zoom ring from the Aquatica and there isnt any slop in the feel when you zoom.

I used the Ikelite d90 for 18months prior to the Aquatica purchase. Honestly the Ikelite served me well and would be suited for those that dont dive as often as I do as the Ikelite started to show signs of use and abuse by the time I sent it back for a port upgrade and service. I dont think the Ikelite was designed as a daily dived housing. One thing I did like was the built in TTL which Ikelite have in their housings. The same feature is worth $300 to have in other housing (when you buy the Ikelite TTL adaptor).

Another thing I didnt like with Ikelite was their customer service. It seems like everyone else raves on how good Ikelite service is. But I havnt recieved anything worth noting and actually ticked me off when I suggested some ideas and the reply was they been doing this for 20 something years and had no issue with designs. Actually in May 2008 I suggested the 4 port clips and was even willing to send my D80 housing back to them to be the trial version.

So after this reply I posted this in December 2008: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ikelite/2...elite-made.html

It is interesting what has been done since.

Regards Mark

Hey folks.

Dont forget coffs harbour as a fantastic dive destination. South Solitary Island has so mant different dive sites in such a small area with its underwater arch, swim throughs, long walls and gutters. Grey Nurse Sharks, Logger Head turtles, Green turtles and Hawkes Bill turtles.

Then theres Split Solitary Island where you can find new born Grey Nurse Sharks at the right time of year, North Solitary Island with the largest Anemone collection out side the GBR.

All these sites offer diving from 5m to 30+m with most stuff found between 12-20m.

Put these 3 dive detinations together (Byron, Coffs and South West Rocks) and I think you could have an amazing years worth of diving from those sites alone

PS, like the pics :)

Edited by Chris Yorke

Hi Albert,

I feel that there is a big difference between the Ikelite D90 I had and my current Aquatica D90. To sum it up the D90 slides into the housing as everything is basically matched up spot on.

The Aquatica is alot more compact and actually I think I might not have to use the big pelican 1620 to pack all my gear as when you break down the Aquatica housing the pieces you have a small and easy to pack into a smaller pelican like maybe the 1510 (biggest for carry on). I just love the handle grips of the Aquatica, even the skippers on the boat like the feel of them when I hand up my setup to them after the dive.

The controls are more precise compared to the Ikelite especially if you use the zoom ring. The Ikelite's thin plastic zoom ring can't compare with the big zoom ring from the Aquatica and there isnt any slop in the feel when you zoom.

I used the Ikelite d90 for 18months prior to the Aquatica purchase. Honestly the Ikelite served me well and would be suited for those that dont dive as often as I do as the Ikelite started to show signs of use and abuse by the time I sent it back for a port upgrade and service. I dont think the Ikelite was designed as a daily dived housing. One thing I did like was the built in TTL which Ikelite have in their housings. The same feature is worth $300 to have in other housing (when you buy the Ikelite TTL adaptor).

Another thing I didnt like with Ikelite was their customer service. It seems like everyone else raves on how good Ikelite service is. But I havnt recieved anything worth noting and actually ticked me off when I suggested some ideas and the reply was they been doing this for 20 something years and had no issue with designs. Actually in May 2008 I suggested the 4 port clips and was even willing to send my D80 housing back to them to be the trial version.

So after this reply I posted this in December 2008: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ikelite/2...elite-made.html

It is interesting what has been done since.

Regards Mark

Thanks mark for the info. I also think the Aquatica has a superior design. The only problem is the price: whenever Nikon brings in another more advanced model you have to change the housing as well.

Cheers Albert

Thanks mark for the info. I also think the Aquatica has a superior design. The only problem is the price: whenever Nikon brings in another more advanced model you have to change the housing as well.

Cheers Albert

Hi Albert.

I have the Ikelite and Aquatica housings and the difference in price just for the housing is $500. I justify the extra price for the quality.

Regarding the issue with upgrading to the newest housing. Jean the Aquatica rep here said that if its just a rear end of housing change they can offer the new rear end to those that have the older housings. Referred to the D200 to D300 chnage. The owner of the d200 housing can buy just the rear end for the D300......

I asked Ikelite a few times if they provide just the rear end for their housings with no luck. I even hear of a guy here in Australia that had his rear end of his Ikelite smash on the dive boat (something dropped on it). Ikelite would not send him just the rear door straight away and they insisted that he send the whole housing to comfirm.

regards Mark

Sponsors

Advertisements