echeng

Wes Skiles dies on a dive off of Florida

Wes Skiles, a renowned explorer and underwater photographer / cinematographer, died yesterday while diving off of Boynton Beach, Florida. According to local papers, Wes signaled to other divers that he was ascending. Details are spotty, but he was later found at the bottom of the reef, motionless.

Wes' photography and work is featured in this month's National Geographic article on Bahamas Blue Holes. His beautiful cover shot shows two divers exploring a beautifully-lit limestone cave.

If you have something you'd like to share to memorialize Wes Skiles, please leave it in the comments one the front page or send it to us via email and we'll add it to the post.

wesskiles-bahamas.jpg

Wes Skiles, a renowned explorer and underwater photographer / cinematographer, died yesterday while diving off of Boynton Beach, Florida. According to local papers, Wes signaled to other divers that he was ascending. Details are spotty, but he was later found at the bottom of the reef, motionless.

Wes' photography and work is featured in this month's National Geographic article on Bahamas Blue Holes. His beautiful cover shot shows two divers exploring a beautifully-lit limestone cave.

If you have something you'd like to memorialize Wes Skiles, please leave it in the comments one the front page or send it to us via email and we'll add it to the post.

wesskiles-bahamas.jpg

Tragic news ... :P

Dive safe everyone

DeanB

So frikkin ironic; after all the pushing the limit cave diving, passing away during a 'simple' Boynton dive. May we all go doing what what we love!

Eric - I can't believe, it! I just starting looking and reading that story last night. This is a profound tragedy, my condolences to his family.

I only met Wes a couple of times and can't say that he'd have remembered me, but in our conversations Wes had a great sense of humor and was downright friendly. He didn't act as if he were a dive god above everyone else and he gave me a few wonderful filming tips. He died on a rebreather in 70' off Boynton Beach, Fl. Haven't heard if it was a heart issue or rebreather failure though.

Bob Cranston came over to my place yesterday and we talked of Wes and he felt the same thing, Wes was one of the good guys in this industry and never had his nose up in the air.

RIP Wes

Steve

The authorities never found the reason, simply stated "Accidental Drowning".

Florida News

I only post this because of being of a certain age where I find it important to learn what causes scuba injuries and death. Since Wes's cause of death is a mystery, or at least the last few minutes was, we will never know how to prevent it, but I have made a vow to take a new safety diver course and stay closer to my buddies.

Rest in Peace Wes.

Well done Steve,

We sure miss Wes.

Regards

Michel

Sponsors

Advertisements